Yahoo Gateway Issues

I am new to these forums and would like to seek some help/guidance on the usage of this Yahoo Gateway. I had installed Openfire few weeks ago along with the gateway.jar (1.0.2) and am using the jwchat client to test a browser based IM client for our company. Since most of our users have yahoo/gtalk accounts we wanted to test that first.

On registering a yahoo account of mine with my openfire account I logged in and was bombarded with a bunch of messages which said “You have been unsubscribed from @yahoo.white-wizard.local” where buddy name is the name of some of my friends. Than following that I get another message saying " would like to add you to his roster" where it is the same buddy mentioned in the earlier message.

What does this mean? Also it keeps disconnecting every 2 minutes and some times every ten seconds. Does it have to do with subtle variations in my net connectivity or a bug in the plugin?

Also I downloaded the openfire source code and imported it into eclipse on my MacBook (yes .macbook…OS X). I ran the ant build. I would like to know if I change the code in the yahoosession.java and would like to just build the gateway.jar can I do that? if so what is the build file?

Thanks in advance.

sktanu wrote:

I am new to these forums and would like to seek some help/guidance on the usage of this Yahoo Gateway. I had installed Openfire few weeks ago along with the gateway.jar (1.0.2) and am using the jwchat client to test a browser based IM client for our company. Since most of our users have yahoo/gtalk accounts we wanted to test that first.

On registering a yahoo account of mine with my openfire account I logged in and was bombarded with a bunch of messages which said “You have been unsubscribed from @yahoo.white-wizard.local” where buddy name is the name of some of my friends. Than following that I get another message saying “ would like to add you to his roster” where it is the same buddy mentioned in the earlier message.

Yahoo support is fairly busted at this point. For some reason it works great for some people, and others it works crappily. For some reason, jwchat seems to cause significant problems with it. I have no idea what it is that jwchat is doing that upsets it so much, as I don’'t have my own jwchat install to test with. (perhaps I should fix that) The next release will include a brand new library for handling Yahoo and… more importantly… the library has active development. =D I am hoping these are the first steps to getting Yahoo stabilized.

What does this mean? Also it keeps disconnecting every 2 minutes and some times every ten seconds. Does it have to do with subtle variations in my net connectivity or a bug in the plugin?

The disconnecting is not one I’'ve heard of before. =/ Not for Yahoo. Anything interesting in the debug logs?

Also I downloaded the openfire source code and imported it into eclipse on my MacBook (yes .macbook…OS X). I ran the ant build. I would like to know if I change the code in the yahoosession.java and would like to just build the gateway.jar can I do that? if so what is the build file?

chuckle I happen to develop on a MacBook Pro. (But I use IntelliJ instead of Eclipse) That said, the ant command to build just the plugin is:

ant -Dplugin=gateway plugin

Thanks for the info. Great! It is comforting to know that I am not alone in using mac for development…esp. in these forums…which means I can ignore any concerns of developing on OS X.

As far as my Yahoo is concerned every time I login I keep getting a bunch of messages saying "you are unsubscribed from i.e. for example ‘‘tom/40.msn.white-wizard.local’’ where all the ‘’@’’ symbols are being replaced by ‘’/40’’. Is this a known issue?

Thanks.

OK…Some progress. I went and downloaded the 1.1 beta version of gateway.jar that you had uploaded on these forums and as of now I am not seeing those flood of messages which I was getting with 1.0.2 version (you have been unsubscribed from @yahoo.domain-name.

I still see very frequent disconnection and connection messages which may have more to do with my network. But again the actual yahoo IM is immune to such subtle network issues. Why is this client more sensitive to it,…not sure. Not sure if this has to do with jwchat or gateway.jar.

Thanks.

Howdy! Regarding the \40 stuff, that’‘s XEP-0106. (ie, the actual JID is supposed to look like that) However, the nickname is supposed to be being set to look like the actual MSN email address (jadestorm@nc.rr.com for example) so it doesn’‘t look so ugly. (or a custom nickname if you’'ve set one)

Here’‘s where the catch comes in. Something is very “wrong” with jwchat and the plugin’‘s interactions. I constantly hear of problems when folk use jwchat. I just recently got a successful install of jwchat set up at home so I’'m going to try it out and see what the crap is going on.

I don’‘t know why the plugin would be more sensitive to it. I don’‘t think it’'s a network problem though. Can you send whatever debug/error/whatever logs you have my way so I can see what openymsg is telling me is going on?

Sure. I will send those logs right away.

Thanks a million.

On the MSN issue, so u mean to say if I did not set a custom nickname to my friend his default name will be replaced with that JID entry. Is it? If so how do i fix it? Just go to the native msn messenger and edit the names and give them custom nicknames.

is there a way to change those names in our client window…i.e. in this case the jwchat window I have opened?

I will wait for your observations on the jwChat. If you have any other clients (web based) please let me know.

Not exactly. If you don’‘t ever set a custom nickname, what should happen is the MSN transport will pull in, say, friend\40example.org@msn.myserver.org. It will see no nickname set and so, in your XMPP roster, it will say “ok fine, your nickname is friend@example.org”, so you shouldn’‘t ever have to see the \40 really. However, jwchat “does something” that breaks this process which I hope to find out more about. I think it messed with the roster and at some point submits a roster update that removes the nickname I’‘ve set. =( One annoyance about this is, if it’‘s doing what I think it’‘s doing, it’'s actually going to have set the nickname in MSN itself to the \40 look, which is quite annoying.

is there a way to change those names in our client window…i.e. in this case the jwchat window I have opened?

I’‘m not real sure until I’'ve played with it more. =)

sktanu wrote:

I will wait for your observations on the jwChat. If you have any other clients (web based) please let me know.

On the MSN issue, so u mean to say if I did not set a custom nickname to my friend his default name will be replaced with that JID entry. Is it? If so how do i fix it? Just go to the native msn messenger and edit the names and give them custom nicknames.

Exactly my concern…jwchat is actually changing the names in the actual MSN messenger list which as u said is annoyying. FYI…what I am trying to develop is something similar to meebo. By the way I sent the logs to your email id.

Thanks.