1.0 Beta 5a - Problem - cannot figure this out at all

I was wondering if registering a user with a transport ALWAYS registered and tried logging the user in irrespective of transport …

I have seen sometimes that the user is registered and logged and then I get the roster … on other cases I would register the user and then i would not get back anything … i.e. … it would register it but not log the user in …

thereby no way to find out if the register - login passed or failed !!

The registration itself will report if it passed or failed unless your client is not telling you. It’'s a little difficult to fail the registration itself. The registration and the actual step where you log in are separate processes. After you register, the transport probes your presence in and attempt to figure out if you are logged in or not. Now as for getting an empty roster, is that only if you type in a bad username/password or if you type in a valid one?

yes … i get an empty roster if I dont type a correct username and password … but i might have an actual empty roster in yahoo … so I cannot take it as a failure …

so my question.

If you don’'t type in the proper username and password, you should get an empty roster because you have no reason to have a roster from MSN, since I have no idea what your MSN roster is until you actually log in to MSN.

but still … how do i distinguish b/w users having no friends on msn or yahoo or aim … and the scenario where I have entered a wrong password …

so an empty roster is not a definite answer as to whether I gave a correct user name and password …

should it even return a roster in the first place ? I am assuming that as soon as you make a mistake in your username and pass … you will immediately get back a wrong username and password (error ) stanza for register … right ?

schandra wrote:

but still … how do i distinguish b/w users having no friends on msn or yahoo or aim … and the scenario where I have entered a wrong password …

Well first off, the behavior you are seeing where you enter a bad username and password and it doesn’‘t tell you a thing is wrong. It should be reporting back to you that it was a bad password or something. I had tested this with AIM and MSN so I’'m a little surprised you are not seeing this occur correctly. Are you indeed seeing this across the board?

so an empty roster is not a definite answer as to whether I gave a correct user name and password …

That is correct, the empty roster is just a side effect because it has nothing to tell you. In fact it’‘s a little weird that it’'s sending you any roster changes at all. Note that all roster items are non-persistent (except for those of the transports themselves) and, as a result, are not “really” in your roster. =)

should it even return a roster in the first place ? I am assuming that as soon as you make a mistake in your username and pass … you will immediately get back a wrong username and password (error ) stanza for register … right ?

It shouldn’'t be doing so. Where are you seeing the roster being returned? Can you paste the XML that you are receiving? What client are you using btw?

Oh also. I have no idea whether your username and password works during the registration phase. It’'s during the actual login phase, after registration is over, that we find out whether the username and password is valid.