1.1.0: Any success stories?

Here at work we are all so pleased with both openfire and especially the IM Gateway. Dispite current issues with IM-G/MSN this system as a whole is a major productivity tool. Not to mention the added security features (or lack of exploits) offered over standard plublic networks and especially high-availability offered over the public networks due to the server being hosted in-house.

Moving our offices from MSN to Openfire is easily one of the best things to happen since I joined the team.

Thanks again Daniel for your continued dilligence and especially the one-to-one support offered for your plugin in perticular.

SmilingJ wrote:

jep i do … althogh most (~90%) of my contacts don’t have the icq client. and with that one i have those issues. i’m absolutly sure that there’s some text in their messages becaus miranda has this nice conetext menu entry Retrieve status message … and that’s what i’m refering to.

Hrm. Ok, would you mind keeping this “in mind” so to speak and when I close GATE-100 testing and dropping me a note? (by fixing GATE-100 we’ll have a higher level API that will likely take care of a lot of things like this for me, that’s why I don’t want to spend a ton of time on it right now)

i hope that helps - if not - perhapc i can communicate with you in germen (i suppose you’re from here or any german-speaking country,b ecause of the language files in the beta versions, which didn’t work correct, except switching the interface lang to german )

laugh communicating with me in German wouldn’t buy you anything. ;D I only speak English. My last name fools a lot of folk.

hammerre, I think we’re talking about this in another thread, but yeah, I’m working on that. I think there’s some experimental code in place that’s causing this.

Andy250 wrote:

Daniel,

Generally 1.1.0 has been working for me, but not without some oddities. Unfortunatly, nothing seems easily reproducable.

Issues I’ve had:

1. I use AIM, MSN, ICQ, and YIM gateways…sometime when I login, they all show I am logged in but I dont see anyone else logged in. I shutdown Spark and go back in and usually everyone appears…sometimes it take a few restarts.

I saw this quite a few times myself until I disabled client compression under Compression Settings in my openfire config. I don’t know what’s going on there, but compression and Spark aren’t getting along for me. =/

1. Sometimes when I log in I only get some of the gateways Icons showing in Spark. For example, I might only see the AOL and YIM icon. If I go into the Openfire manager, it shows I am logged into all 4 gateways. Usually exiting and going back into Spark resolves the issue.

Hrm. I’m not sure what to tell you here. That sounds like Spark is “missing” something. =/

1. I tired adding the gtalk gateway and could not get it to show in my spark session. I decided to just disable it and move on until the next release.

Spark doesn’t yet have real support for GTalk. It’s coming in the next release though. (and XMPP)

-Andy

scottr wrote:

Hi Daniel – looks like you updated while I was on vacation. Congrats!

I see you’ve been working on a few other things, though; any plans to do a 1.1.1 beta soon?

I hope to have 1.1.1 release soon. There are some key issues I want to try to track down first though. Don’t really like putting out busted releases but I guess that comes with the game sometimes… =(

I want to thank everyone for your responses here! I was beginning to think 1.1.0 was a complete failure. I’m glad to hear it’s just that I’m hearing from the folk who are having problems. =) Not to downplay the problems or anything, it’s just nice to hear that it’s not a “might as well pull it back off the shelf” release. Thanks everyone!

jadestorm wrote:
SmilingJ wrote:

jep i do … althogh most (~90%) of my contacts don’t have the icq client. and with that one i have those issues. i’m absolutly sure that there’s some text in their messages becaus miranda has this nice conetext menu entry Retrieve status message … and that’s what i’m refering to.Hrm. Ok, would you mind keeping this “in mind” so to speak and when I close GATE-100 testing and dropping me a note? (by fixing GATE-100 we’ll have a higher level API that will likely take care of a lot of things like this for me, that’s why I don’t want to spend a ton of time on it right now)

Ok! Done! (mada a dummy file on my desk)

but yesterday i encountered another problem (one that others had reported before but i wanted to assert this “bug”). however i installed spark (2.5.5) yesterday and loged i … everything works fine. after shutting down my pc spark remains online although i performed an exit (rightklick on the tray icon -> exit)

so i don’t know iv it’s a spark issue or a gateway issue (with psi the gateway works pretty fine) but perhaps you can communicate with the spark team and figure out what’s goin’ wrong.

I have the same issue as SP3CTR3. Sometimes logging into MSN is successful but I do not see my contacts. I only used the previous version for a few days before upgrading but didn’t see this before the upgrade. If I tick ‘sign in on login’ then exit and open Spark again this lists the contacts correctly. But simply just signing out of MSN and then in again will not add contacts back into the roster again. (It’s like Spark is not correctly refreshing the list. They can see me but I can’t see them!).

Also not sure if this this is a bug that has been mentioned before but if a contact in MSN has a personal status message whcih includes an apostrophe it appears as & apos; (IE - the word it’s appears as it& apos;s)

There is no space between & and apos; but it won’t display the char code in this post only the apostrophe otherwise!

Regards

Guess what wroot! I was just able to duplicate the issue you were seeing! Guess how? By using the Windows version of Spark instead of the Mac version! (same version number) Bizarre!!!

jadestorm wrote:

Guess what wroot! I was just able to duplicate the issue you were seeing! Guess how? By using the Windows version of Spark instead of the Mac version! (same version number) Bizarre!!!

Heh. I always use windows version only

Can my last post entry be listed as a bug? It still occurs in 1.1.1

Also not sure if this this is a bug that has been mentioned before but if a contact in MSN has a personal status message whcih includes an apostrophe it appears as & apos; (IE - the word it’s appears as it& apos;s)

There is no space between & and apos; but it won’t display the char code in this post only the apostrophe otherwise!

Sure thing! GATE-321

After installing IM Gateway 1.1.1, the MSN contacts issue I was having seems to be gone (although I did have to reboot the server). The only outstanding issue I can see for my environment is a problem with Pending Requests from MSN contact additions. When I add a new MSN contact it is given a pending request status but the contact does not receive a notfication.

Overall, the Openfire, Spark and plugins are excellent software packages that I antipate using in a production environment very shortly. In fact, Openfire and Spark are being used in a production environment without access to an external IM. Performance has been excellent. Users are very satisified with the client and the overall experience.

Thanks for the hardwork.

GATE-338 =)

Thanks!

I’d also like to add that 1.1 has been working really well apart from the known problems. I just updated to 1.1.2 last night and so far so good. The only new issue I’ve seen in Spark is that the Yahoo transport doesn’t show up anymore (I’m on 2.5.6) but the Y icon is still there and “lit up” and my Yahoo contacts all work so I figure it is no big deal. I’d rather the Transport “Group” in Spark went away anyway since it just confuses people. Other than that, great work, this has made Openfire an amazing solution for us. We fall under HIPAA compliance and this system allows us to audit chats, to not allow certain groups with patient contact to use the gateways (thus keeping any patient data internal), but also allows other departments the ability to chat with friends. Really nice setup.

jadestorm - can I add another bug similar to Gate 321 - this time these characters <> are shown as & lt: and & gt: respectively.

(What can I say - my friends have weird personal MSN messages…)

The patch I made should have already taken care of that. =) (there were 6 or so characters that were translated and just weren’t being “untranslated”)

Great - Thanks!