2.1.0 Roadmap

Hey all,

I thought I’'d provide some info on the current project roadmap. All of this is in the issue tracker, but I thought a forum post might be helpful too.

We’‘ve continued to go pretty crazy on internal refactoring during the last couple of weeks. That means that another release in the 2.0.x series isn’‘t very practical. So, we’‘ll be pushing out a 2.1.0 release much sooner than planned. At this point, I’'d estimate that the release is about two weeks away.

Some highlights on what will be in 2.1.0 –

• Plugin support (JM-60). Plugins extend the server and can dymanically modify content in the admin console. They will provide a very easy way for new developers to get involved in the project. We plan on having a plugin registry up on the site before long, which will also be nice. All the core plugin work is already complete, and a plugin developer guide is in progress. You can find that document in CVS or in new nightly builds.

• The core packet model in Jive Messenger is being completely refactored (JM-61). This won’'t affect end-users directly all that much, but fixes a lot of issues and makes further development much easier.

• LDAP is slated to be fixed (JM-10).

• We’'re going to try to get in a few features that users have been requesting, such as JM-22 (shared groups in rosters), JM-21 (broadcast service), and JM-63 (tray icon support for the launcher).

Since the 2.1.0 release is coming sooner than expected, a number of features won’'t be in this release. This includes server to server, and SASL.

Regards,

Matt

ok,thank you for the information:)

Would 2.1.0 be available in server deployable war?

thanks,

-Bijal

Bijal,

We’‘ll definitely finish up that work if we have time. It’'s mostly just some additional ANT script work as well as install documentation.

Regards,

Matt

when is the 2.1 expected?

I am new to Jive, but am impressed with what you have. We were on Sametime, and it was a big pain. Jive seems promissing. We are almost done except for having common groups like in Sametime. I see that it is coming in 2.1. How is it going to be implemented?

If 2.1, is going to take time… are there any other scripts that I can do with. I figured out the manual installation, but I would be crazy, if I were to do it. Somebody help!

Thanks,

saleem

Will the group support that is added/fixed in 2.1.0 help us define which users can chat with each other? We’'d like to make it so that users can only interract with other users in their group(s).

I’‘m also anxious to use LDAP, so I’'m glad to see it will be ready by 2.1.0.

Thanks!

Will the group support that is added/fixed in 2.1.0

help us define which users can chat with each other?

We’'d like to make it so that users can only interract

with other users in their group(s).

You’‘ll be able to setup shared roster groups so that people’‘s rosters are automatically populated with the group. However, there is no way to restrict that people can only talk to people in a certain group. Can you explain your use case a bit more so that we can understand what you’'re trying to accomplish.

I’‘m also anxious to use LDAP, so I’'m glad to see it

will be ready by 2.1.0.

It’'s actually working now in the latest daily builds!

Regards,

Matt