3.10 rc on ubuntu with java-common

Hi there!

I’m happy to test the new 3.10 rc.

Openfire is running on a vm based on ubuntu here.

I’ve installed java-common (in the past) on this machine, which basically provides “java -version”:

java version “1.7.0_75”

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.4) (7u75-2.5.4-1~trusty1)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode)

however upon installation of the new rc i got (roughly translated) :

openfire depends (earlier) on openjdk-7-jre | oracle-java7-jre but

openjdk-7-jre is not installed

oracle-java7-jre is not installed

knewing that openjdk-7-jre is installed i went ahead and fixed the deb for me:

1. created a folder for the patched installation: “mkdir openfire_310rc_patch”

2. extracted the deb to this folder: “dpkg-deb -x openfire_3.10.0.rc_all.deb openfire_310rc_patch/”

3. extracted the control information files from a package archive: “dpkg-deb --control openfire_3.10.0.rc_all.deb openfire_310rc_patch/DEBIAN”

4. modified the file “openfire_310rc_patch/DEBIAN/control”:

changed Line from:

Pre-Depends: openjdk-7-jre | oracle-java7-jre

to:

Pre-Depends: openjdk-7-jre | oracle-java7-jre | java-common

1. create a new deb-file “dpkg -b openfire_310rc_patch openfire_3.10.0.rc_all_patched.deb”

2. installed the new deb file with “sudo dpkg -i openfire_3.10.0.rc_all_patched.deb”

Afterwards openfire installs and boots up successfully and i can logon with ad-accounts / to webinterface … seems working at the first glimpse

Maybe this can help others if they run into the same Problem.

Kind regards

Thanks for this detailed post. I am not very familiar with Debian, so do you think this is a change we should make with the Ignite distributed deb installer?

Hi there!

I’m glad to contribute

But, I’m also not an expert when it comes to ubuntu / debian.

I think that it’s possible to add it to the distributed deb installer, Ubuntu – Details of package java-common in trusty and Ubuntu – Details of package default-jre in trusty state that at least openjdk-7-jre is installed, as long as you are on debian testing or ubuntu 14.04 LTS or greater.

BUT, when it comes to older versions of debian (stable/old stable) or older ubuntu version (12.02 LTS) java-common could probably be openjdk-6-jre, and I’m not sure if this is still supported. Have a look at: Debian – Package Search Results – java-common or Ubuntu – Package Search Results – java-common

Kind regards

It would also be good if the much less bloated version (for debian/ubuntu servers) of openjdk-7-jre, called openjdk-7-jre-headless would not throw up an error - as requested here

Openfire 3.10 - Debian/Ubuntu and Java 7

Or is there some aspect of the full jre that is used, which was not used on earlier verions of openfire when the jre-headless did work…?