3.5.2 OpenFire Initial setup help

I am inthe final steps of setting up Open Fire 3.5.2 and when i am setting up an admin account i put in the default password, a valid email address and the new password I want and i get this:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dfinished_jsp.jspService(setup 002dfinished_jsp.java:74)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1093)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:42)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:99)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)

at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)

at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:206)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)

at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.j ava:829)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)

at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)

3.5.2 or 3.8.2? You probably want to use the latest release, which is 3.8.2.

ok, so I installed the latest version and it got through everything ok. But i dont know what the generic username/password is for the admin account. is still lost

it’s whatever you setup during the install.

the username is: admin

password: whateverYouSetAdminAccountTo

once inside the admin interface, you can setup new users and assign the “Admin Role” to them. This will enable you to use those username/passwords to login to the Admin Interface.

SO i thought maybe i missed it during the initial set up. But when i get to the part about making the admin user account/password i put in the generic “admin” as the password, a valid email address and my new password. But then it tells me there was an error and to check my logs and resolve the issues and try again.

1. where the hoo-ha-hay are the log files?

2. what am i looking for in there?

Is this a first install or an upgrade of existing server? On first install it just asks for email and then New password/Confirm password. also, what browser do you use? Logs are in Openfire/logs/ (if on Windows - Program files)

This is a first install. I thought it was odd that there would be a default admin password/account already.

If it’s windows 7, you should run openfire with run as administrator or it wouldn’t have permissions to change comfig files and database (if using embedded one). That’s the only thing i can think of now. So, what browser?