404 when adding user to roster on only one XMPP server

I’‘m having trouble adding a user from one (and only one) XMPP server to my roster. I’‘m running Openfire 3.3.1 on Linux. I can add users from lots of other XMPP servers (Google, Goowy, Meebo, Gizmo, etc.), but I can’'t add twitter@twitter.com (the Twitter bot). I get this response:

I replaced my real JID above with me@example.com, but the rest is verbatim. As far as I can tell, Twitter has their DNS setup right:

xmpp-server.tcp.twitter.com. 60 IN SRV 0 0 5269 jabber02.twitter.com.

xmpp-server.tcp.twitter.com. 60 IN SRV 0 0 5269 jabber01.twitter.com.

And I think I have everything setup right, too:

xmpp-server.tcp.example.com. 3600 IN SRV 10 10 5269 xmpp.example.com.

Any ideas?

Hi,

i can add twitter@twitter.com to my roster without problems …

Do you see an established s2s connection in the web admin console or s2s errors in the log files?

LG

No, I don’'t get anything in the logs when trying to add twitter@twitter.com, although I did just notice this earlier entry in the log:

warn.log:2007.06.28 19:48:57 Error verifying key of remote server: twitter.com

There is also no connection to twitter.com in the “Server Sessions” in the web admin, although there are many other connections (Gizmo, Google, Meebo, etc.)

danf, did you work out what the problem was ? I get the same 404 error when trying to add twitter@twitter.com to my roster on a federated server.

I had 404s on many JIDs when I first set things up, but this was when I used self signed certs and tried to make encryption mandatory for s2s traffic

I have encryption set to optional now and I have XMPP Federation signed certs, so the issues went away for everything but twitter@twitter.com

It seems to me the 404 response is being used very liberally so the troubleshooting approach has to be pretty broad.

Try again. I didn’t change anytyhing on my end, but it’s working now. Twitter must have done something to make this work.

–df