Accessing Wildfire from behind a firewall

I have read a lot of threads on this but am still can’'t work out the answer.

I would like to setup my Wildfire server to listen on port 443.

I believe this is impossible, but has anyone done it using port redirection?

If so, can a client connect to Wildfire using this port which is usually open

behind corporate firewalls.

Any advice on this would be welcome.

Daniel

Daniel,

Many clients support SOCKS 5 proxy servers. That’'s often the easiest way to use Wildfire through a firewall.

If you want to make Wildfire listen on port 443, that’‘s definitely possible. Just change the port to that value from 5222. However, it’'s not actual HTTPS traffic, so some firewalls would block it.

A final option – you could setup an HTTP binding servlet such as HTTPBind, which comes with the JWChat project. That would act as an HTTP proxy for the IM server. The main problem with this approach is that it’'s not well supported in clients yet. But, if you can specifiy which clients people use, it might be an option.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

We are using a web based client based on the jabberflash 0.3.2 libraries, which is working very well. The XIFF libraries were too heavy and events just didn’'t seem to be triggering.

I am not sure what would be involved to support SOCKS 5 proxy servers in flash - sounds like a lot of work. HTTP Binding is certainly an option. Has that been proven to work effectively with Wildfire?

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel,

Yep, we’'ve tested the HTTPBinding servlet with Wildfire in the past. If you can make jabberflash speak HTTP binding, then that could be a great fit. Let us know if you get it working!

Regards,

Matt

Yeah I would probably try to connect with jabberflash and if that fails use the HTTP binding directly from javascript as a downgraded option.

Is there example web based code that connects to the HTTP Binding service. I would prefer not to do all the xml parsing etc.

Thanks

It sounds like JSJAC would be perfect for your project. It’'s the Javascript library that JWChat is built with and it uses HTTPBinding directly. You can find more info at:

http://jsjac.jabberstudio.org/

Regards,

Matt

Thanks!