AD Deployment via MSI?

I’m just starting to look at putting in place an internal IM system. OpenFire/Spark seems to be the recommended combo so that’s what I’m looking at.

Here’s the issue, as I understand it:

The builds of spark available for download are a couple of years old.

There are builds with/without Java

The builds with Java presumably contain an old Java from the time of the build?

The builds without Java won’t install until Java is installed.

So I’m struggling a little to understand/find a definitive guide on how I go from what is on the Ignite download site to a spanky .msi that could be deployed via GPO that would cover machines that may or may not have Java installed already?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I had the same problem

Here a very brief howto (my short notes):

$ cat ~/building_spark.txt
Install:

apache ant > 1.6
Advanced Installer 6.8
jdk 1.6_12

svn co http://svn.igniterealtime.org/svn/repos/spark/tags/spark_2_5_8 Spark

Remove old Advanced Installer Project File (will be recreated)

rm /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/build/installer/spark.aip

$ cat /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/build.bat
set JAVA_HOME=c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_12

rem “c:\Documents and Settings<HOME>\apache-ant-1.7.1\bin\ant.bat” -f build\build.xml clean
"c:\Documents and Settings<HOME>\apache-ant-1.7.1\bin\ant.bat" -f build\build.xml installer.msi

I did the svn stuff in cygwin, don’t know howto do with plain windows.

Additinally I had to change some values in build.xml … other changes are a little fix and raising version …

Index: /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/build/build.xml

— /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/build/build.xml (revision 10980)
+++ /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/build/build.xml (working copy)
@@ -24,7 +24,7 @@

@@ -83,7 +83,7 @@

@@ -462,18 +462,18 @@

•        <arg line="/SetPackageName ${win.msi.withjre} -withjre"/>

•        <arg line='/SetPackageName "${win.msi.withjre}" -withjre'/>
       </exec>

<exec executable="${advinst.path}\AdvancedInstaller.com"
             failonerror="true">
           <arg line="/edit build\installer\spark.aip"/>

•        <arg line="/SetPackageName ${win.msi.nojre}"/>

•        <arg line='/SetPackageName "${win.msi.nojre}" -buildname DefaultBuild'/>
       </exec>

<exec executable="${advinst.path}\AdvancedInstaller.com"
             failonerror="true">

•        <arg line="/build build\installer\spark.aip"/>

•        <arg line="/build build\installer\spark.aip -buildslist BuildWithJre"/>
       </exec>

Index: /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/src/java/org/jivesoftware/sparkimpl/settings/JiveInfo.ja va

— /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/src/java/org/jivesoftware/sparkimpl/settings/JiveInfo.ja va (revision 10980)
+++ /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/src/java/org/jivesoftware/sparkimpl/settings/JiveInfo.ja va (working copy)
@@ -17,11 +17,11 @@
}

public static String getVersion() {
  •    return "2.5.8";

•    return "2.5.8.1";

}

public static String getBuildNumber() {

•    return "2.5.8";

•    return "2.5.8.1";

}

public static String getOS() {
    Index: /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/src/java/org/jivesoftware/sparkimpl/search/users/UserSea rchResults.java
    ===================================================================
    — /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/src/java/org/jivesoftware/sparkimpl/search/users/UserSea rchResults.java (revision 10980)
    +++ /cygdrive/c/Temp/Spark/src/java/org/jivesoftware/sparkimpl/search/users/UserSea rchResults.java (working copy)
    @@ -139,7 +139,7 @@

TableColumn column = null;
               try {

•                column = resultsTable.getColumn("Username");

•                column = resultsTable.getColumnModel().getColumn(resultsTable.getSelectedColumn());
               }
               catch (Exception ex) {
                   try {

br,

mueller

PS: You need a license for Advanced Installer - otherwise you’ll get a “evaluation only” notive on install/uninstall

Message was edited by: mueller

Thanks for the reply, but much of that has gone over my head tbh - looks like you’re building your own?

Maybe I’m being naive and don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the efforts that go into making this available FOC, but for how long it would take, wouldn’t there be an “official” release that can just deal with this?

Still trying to suss out if Spark is still being maintained and if it really is the best option for a client - is it still being maintained or is the 2007 release where it ends?

I’m also only user of openfire/sparc, so no problem

There is still development ongoing, see http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/37864?tstart=0

Maybe you should try to find a 3rd party company which will take care about building and supporting custom packages for you.

AFAIK, there is no commercial support for spark/openfire availavle from jive software?

br,

bernhard

Thanks - I shall have a look at the “build your own”, no issue with getting my hands dirty but it’s filling in the “missing pieces” about what needs to be downloaded, installed, and configured before you’re able to run the magic commands etc.

To be fair, by now I’d hope most of our machines would have Java but it’s a royal PITA if too many don’t - and I’m not sure I want to be looking at deploying Java site-wide via MSI/GPO.

For us, I actually deploy the jre msi as well as the spark online msi. IIRC, I could not use the regular MSI and had to have someone make me a custom msi because the 2.5.8 msi had some problems. Off the top of my head when I used the 2.5.8 msi the program had to first be run by an administrator (defeating the purpose of using GP to deploy) and the spark.exe could run multiple times as well…

But, when I got the new msi custom made from the spark online exe, cannot remember who made it for me, todd Getz maybe, everything deployed nicely over GP software deployment with a couple scripts to get userprofiles setup, etc…