Ad-hoc commands and wildfire

Basically my need is to be able to do some basic administration using xmpp messages.

I’'ve asked for that on the forum, and the answer was : “use the ad-hoc commands, some of them might help”…

In fact after a lot of googling (I’‘m quite new to xmpp), I’‘ve realized that most of my needs are in the XEP-0133. But I’'ve noticed that it is not in the supported enhancements. The first question will be, is there any plan to add it support soon ?

Otherwise, what are my possibilities to perform actions such as “Change User Password” ?

Thanks a lot for your help…

Hey huats,

The filed jira issue for this new feature is JM-404. As you can see that feature is in progress and there is a nice list of commands that are already supported. I just added the “Change User Password” command so you can use it. You can find the new command in the next nightly build version.

Let us know if you need any help running commands. Not all clients have support for it and the interfaces are not that user friendly yet.

Regards,

– Gato

Hello Gato,

This is amazing… Right now I cannont test it, but tomorrow @work I will… Really to implement such function in such a short laptime, you really rocks!

I was thinking implementing that inside the smack API, to be able to use it inside my app. But I’'ll test it from PSI first to see if I can create the good IQ messages…

By the way, is there any chance I could help you in the implementation of the remainning functions ? If I can just tell me, I’'ll be more than happy to help…

Hey huats,

Your help is very welcome. Gabriel Guardincerri is now working on adding ad-hoc commands support to Smack. The next step is to start implementing the list of commands as defined in JEP-133 and any other JEP. If you want to help implementing the list of commands (JEP-133) on the server side that is fine too. Feel free to contact me directly. Email: gaston@jivesoftwre.com. IM: gato@jivesoftware.com.

Regards,

– Gato

Hey Gato,

I’'ve downloaded/installed the 2006-10-13 nightly build and indeed there is the support of “Change User Password”.

The thing is that I cannot use it… I might be doing something wrong but I don’'t know what…

Here is what I am doing :

Am I doing something wrong ?

Oh and by the way, I am really, really interested in having the command : “Get User Password” implemented…

After the test of the new nightly build.

Hey huats,

I just sent an email to the XMPP list asking for clarification on XEP-50 and XEP-133. in XEP-50 commands are being executed using Iq stanzas of type SET while in XEP-133 are using type GET and SET depending on the stage. While we get the answer try executing your command using IQ stanzas of type SET only. That is why you are getting the error 400.

Regards,

– Gato

Hey huats,

FYI, the “Get User Password” command has been implemented. I just checked it in so it may be available in the next nightly build.

Regards,

– Gato

First of all thanks a lot Gato…

I’'ve just tested the new nightly build (the 20071017), and indeed the “get user command” appears…

I’'m facing an error when I try to use it (using ‘‘set’’ for the IQ type) , here my first step :

Does anybody know why ?

Hi Gato,

which madmen did write the XEP?

One must be really sick to implement such a “feature” like Get User Password. It’‘s a good reason to no longer use Wildfire. I did never hear of such a feature in other enterprise products, it’'s very cool if the users use their passwords somewhere else.

The lucky ones use LDAP or an external database with md5hash for authentication, there Wildfire can not get the plaintext password (:

So I will finally create a JM-issue to allow also Wildfire admins which use internal user authentication to use md5 or sha hashed passwords and disable the digest authentication method which may or may not violate the xmpp standard.

LG

Hey Guys,

For security reasons we are going to remove the GetUserPassword command from Wildfire. Anyway, people that still need it can find the source code in the jira issue JM-404. You will need to add the command to AdHocCommandHandler#addDefaultCommands() and recompile the source code.

Regards,

– Gato

Dear all,

I understand perfectly your security concerns… but as I am really needing that command, thanks a lot for putting the source code available…

But I’'m still facing the problem I rise earlier, does anybody has an idea to solve it ? and more precisely where I am messing… because I am precisily following the XEP…

Hey huats,

I was using Exodus to tests the ad-hoc command. When using Exodus you can click F12 to open the debugger and see the exchanged XML with the server. Commands are executed from the F11 window. Enable the node identifier field and enter http://jabber.org/protocol/commands so you can see the list of commands.

Regards,

– Gato