AIM, MSN, Yahoo gateway support differences

I’'ve been tasked to setup a service for a company that will have a bot that can listen to XMPP, AIM, MSN and Yahoo for queries.

My first thought was to setup a XMPP server and use the transport gateways to allow this. My next thought was to find out how much this costs

Are the transport gateways enabled in the open source version of the server or are they an enterprise only feature?

If the tests work out and the bosses are happy I fully intend to have them purchase the enterprise version but I need to do a proof-of-concept now so was looking at installing the open source version.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well it might help to start off with … I don’‘t work for Jive. =) The IM Gateway plugin is an entirely open source project and is only really hosted amongst Jive’‘s stuff and I do work very closely with them and they sometimes sponsor development on it. So the gist is, it’'s fully available with the open source version. =)

The caveat of course is, I highly doubt they provide any form of support for it. And I have a real job. So I can never guarantee timeframes on anything with it. I do always welcome assistance on a code level like if folk submit patches and such. And I do consider myself pretty fast with all of this for someone doing it in his free time. Plus if you did purchase enterprise and you needed something done you might be able to work with Jive to sponsor me on a particular issue. But really what I’‘m trying to get across here is that I don’'t believe enterprise buys you anything in terms of the im gateway plugin. It buys you a lot of other things though that Jive provides.

Lots of people seem to be developing bots against this plugin so I think you should have some good success with it. Note that XMPP support is in the 1.1.0 beta releases, not in a real release yet. Hopefully soon though!

I hope that answers your questions =) let me know if you have any more! If you’'d like I can facilitate introducing you to the Jive folk so you can talk to them about it more.

bear wrote:
If the tests work out and the bosses are happy I fully intend to have them purchase the enterprise version but I need to do a proof-of-concept now so was looking at installing the open source version.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I’'ve been tasked to setup a service for a company that will have a bot that can listen to XMPP, AIM, MSN and Yahoo for queries.

My first thought was to setup a XMPP server and use the transport gateways to allow this. My next thought was to find out how much this costs

Are the transport gateways enabled in the open source version of the server or are they an enterprise only feature?

jadestorm,

thanks for your reply - I glad to see that the gateway code is active and maintained and I completely understand the constraints that come from it being an open source project.

Let me get a little more particular with what I want to do so you can call me crazy

My idea is to have a program (basically a listening bot) that will have a presence on the jabber network. That part is easy, I’'ve coded many a bot before.

But what I want to do is have this bot also have a presence on AIM, MSN, etc. so that users of those networks can add the bot to their buddy list and send it requests.

My hope is that I can run the jive server, hook up your gateway service and then have the bot sign-on to the xmpp network and also the other networks.

is this possible?

Indeed that is possible, in fact that is exactly what I meant by the way other folk are using the plugin with their bots. =) Basically the typical usage is to register all of the various legacy services (AIM, ICQ, etc) for the XMPP account through the plugin and have it log on “like normal” to it’'s XMPP account. At that point other should be able to see the respective legacy service accounts online.

dude!

you just made my day - going to download some love this weekend and start working on getting some knowledge.

thanks!