Another Presence Question

I am using Wildfire 3.0.0, and am having a problem with Wildfire “losing” clients.

I have Wildfire set to never disconnect idle clients, and then I have a custom XMPP client that sends “keepalive” packets every 10 minutes, using a short message.

Now, the XMPP client is still connected and sending it’‘s keepalive (using message auditing in wildfire), but when you look in the Wildfire session list, the SN is not there! Also, if you query for that SN’'s presence, Wildfire says it is not signed online.

Wildfire is losing clients after awhile, even though they are still signed on and sending. If I disconnect/reconnect, all is fine. This has only happened when the client is connected for a few days or more.

Ideas?

Hey Chris,

What do you mean by SN? Sometimes TCP can be tricky. Clients may think they are connected and even send data but no error is thrown even though there is a dead TCP connection. To confirm if this is your case I would recommend using netstat to monitor the status of the connections to the server. Verify that there is still a valid connection to the server from your client. If there is a firewall between the client and the server make sure that the firewall is not closing long lived connections. Moreover, you can enable the debug log to see if the server is actually closing the connection.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

Thanks for getting back to me. netstat does indeed show that there is a connection to port 5222 using TCP that is established, and the audit log in wildfire shows the client sending keepalives, so that’‘s why I’'m confused…

If a client checks for presence of one of these problematic clients, Wildfire says it’‘s not there. I’‘ll look through the logs again, as well. Another thing I’'ve noticed is that the sessions page will show say 5 logged in users, but at the top it will say that the number of sessions is the current client number +1 or +2…

Hey Chris,

Could you make/post a summary of presence packets exchanged between the client and the server? The number of client sessions at the top of the window does not necessarily match the list of authenticated sessions. Clients that just connected but haven’'t authenticated will not appear in that list though are counted in the total number of sessions. We need to improve that window to show consistent data or improve the description.

Since you see the TCP connection active then we need to also verify that the client has correctly authenticated and if he failed then that no dead socket is hanging around.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

Sure, I’'ll try to get this off to you today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Chris