Any chance that Smack and Messenger/Whack will converge on org.xmpp.packet?

Or vica versa?

I can’'t send a org.xmpp.packet.Packet to a XMPPConnection#sendPacket(Packet) method and there is no easy way to wap between the two.

Perhaps a Utility class that can covert oneway or the other taking the raw dom4j element as a parameter.

Noah

A conversion utility is probably the right approach to start. I like the idea of switching to org.xmpp.packet in Smack at some point in the future. The major downside is that it creates a Dom4J dependency, which is a heavy burden considering that Smack is just 100K at the moment.

-Matt

What about using the standard JAXP and XPath in Java 5.0? Wouldn’‘t this be sufficient or is there a feature that is a must have in dom4j that doesn’'t existing in 5.0?

Noah

Noah,

That would probably mean exposing the raw XML of the packet as DOM? That would certainly be possible… but man do I hate that API.

-Matt

Hate in what sense? Performance or development? It would help bridge the gap between the two apis if a common representation (or a pluggable representation) could be found

Noah

Message was edited by:

noahcampbell - fixed some spelling mistakes

Performance or development?

Both. But, it’‘s mainly the API that I despise – very awkward to use compared to Dom4J. Still, I definitely agree with you that it would make interop very simple. I’'ll have to think about it some more…

-Matt

I agree, DOM is awkward. Performance wise, I think that any modifications should be done under a test framework with an eye towards execution time. Sometimes ugly runs like the devil ;). Is there an existing test framework that we can leverage in smack and/or whack (I think that’'s where the org.xmpp packages live).

Noah

Just some food for thought…or my need for speed ;).

I found this comparison between all the different xml parsers:

http://www.asciiarmor.com/blog/default/2004/11/13/38913ACE763A57A646F07BEF0C13CE 52.txt

The results: Jaxon is the slowest out of the bunch. I’‘ve probably invoked the Jaxon deities into a flamewar, but I’'m just paraphrasing when is already stated in the above link.

Curious why JDOM wasn’'t in the mix, I jump to their FAQ and found this entry: http://www.jdom.org/docs/faq.html#a0160.

Hmmm…perhaps it wouldn’‘t hurt to re-evaluate the use of jdom and favor it’'s uglier siblings.

Noah