Apprecation for hidden groups?

Hi,

what is the apprecation for hidden groups?

I try to build an environment for my company where users can add/see groups without being part of that groups,

is the option Show group in group members’’ rosters something usefull for me?

Regards,

Frank

Frank,

There have been some suggestions about how to enhance the group roster sharing feature that we plan to implement for 2.1.1. Two new modes will be added besides the current one:

• Show group in all users’’ rosters.

• Show group in to a list of other groups.

I think that the second mode is what you’'re looking for.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I am looking for a mode like

• show group in a list of other users

in addition to the two modes that you’'ve mentioned. Is that also on the development plan?

With that (and the other) modes it would be possible to create a webpage where all the available groups

are listed (sql-select from db) and users can then select which group they want to see (sql-insert to the db).

BTW: I still don’'t realize the sense of hidden groups …

Regards,

Frank

Hi,

the new group features are in Messenger now, what about the ideo of ‘‘show group in a list of other users’’ or is there a reason against this mode?

And still I don’'t get the sense for invisible groups … do they have any effect on rosters?

Regards,

Frank

the new group features are in Messenger now, what

about the ideo of ''show group in a list of other

users’’ or is there a reason against this mode?

If a lot of people would find it useful, we could eventually add this. We’'re hoping that show group to a list of groups will work for most people though.

And still I don’'t get the sense for invisible groups

… do they have any effect on rosters?

I’'m not quite sure what you mean… can you explain further?

Regards,

Matt

It’‘s possible to create hidden groups, but why should anybody create hidden groups if they don’'t affect any roster?

That’‘s what I don’'t understand.

Is show group to a list of groups working for you? On my environment (clients are JAJC, PSI, Tkabber) it’'s not working as expected …

I had a look at the source code but it’'s still too complicated for me

Regards,

Frank

It’'s possible to create hidden groups, but why should

anybody create hidden groups if they don’'t affect any

roster?

That’‘s what I don’'t understand.

Groups will be used for other purposes in the future. For example, they can be used by the broadcast plugin and we’'re planning on having a full permissions framework in the future. So, you could give a group access to certain features in the admin console.

Is show group to a list of groups working for you? On

my environment (clients are JAJC, PSI, Tkabber) it’'s

not working as expected …

There seem to be some problems with that feature. We’'re planning on fixing all the bugs for the 2.1.1 release.

Thanks,

Matt

Okay now I understand what you mean, thanks Matt!