Are buddies icons working for MSN etc.?

I have installed the Openfire 3.4.0 (upgrade from 3.4.0 beta 2) with 1.2.0 gateway latest release.

the buddy icons are not visible.

In the log file seems to be send and arrived but either is a protocol error or something else is wrong.

On another installation with py-msn transport i can see the icons.

May i have something wrong ?

well for me it worked out of the box

what version of spark? you should really be at version 2.5.7.

Are you using Pandion perchance? Pandion uses a deprecated avatar protocol that isn’t supported. =)

So what I’m trying to figure out, specifically, is whether you’ve implemented JEP-0054 (which by my understanding describes what Apple did in lieu of JEP-0084, apparently because the latter was not stable yet). Is this true, or are you doing this in some other manner?

i have tried it again with Psi and seems to work for the most of my contacts (MSN).

I have the problem with an own client using ag sdk but version 7.6.

I can see the icons from the local contacts or from gmail contacts or from other Openfire contacts (all local or s2s connected).

I will try to upgrade the ag library it see what happens.

Thanks (sorry for the delay)

scottr wrote:

So what I’m trying to figure out, specifically, is whether you’ve implemented JEP-0054 (which by my understanding describes what Apple did in lieu of JEP-0084, apparently because the latter was not stable yet). Is this true, or are you doing this in some other manner?

I’ve implemented XEP-0153, which makes use of XEP-0054. XEP-0084 is… I don’t know if it’s stable or not yet but it’s not adopted by many clients yet. =) So I went with the one that’s implement pretty much across the board.

kyri wrote:

i have tried it again with Psi and seems to work for the most of my contacts (MSN).

For what it’s worth, PyMSNt does a little more forced converting of avatars that I’m not doing. I’m trying to leave them along as much as possible so things like animated gifs and such have a chance of working. (if I recall correctly, PyMSNt was forcing PNG, or maybe it’s all PNG, I don’t know ;D ) Also, unless things have changed, all of the Pys were setting default icons if the person didn’t have a legacy icon. (unless you disabled that behavior in config) So whereas the Pys might have been sending you some icon, regardless, I am only sending icons if they are valid and/or the user “really has” an icon. =)

jadestorm wrote:

I’ve implemented XEP-0153, which makes use of XEP-0054. XEP-0084 is… I don’t know if it’s stable or not yet but it’s not adopted by many clients yet. =) So I went with the one that’s implement pretty much across the board.

Doh. Yes, of course they are XEPs and not JEPs. Old habits die hard.

Thanks for the info!

You have right it was XEP-0153. Now its ok. (ag is not supporting this)

It works fine now.

Thank you.

I’m still missing avatars even with OF 3.4 and the latest IM Gateway. I

also tried reinstalling the plugin as you described. I’m using gajim

0.11.1 and tried psi 0.11 too. No avatars on ICQ.

I found this in my error.log:

2007.11.03 15:48:50

org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender.append(Log4JToOpe nfireAppender.java:49)

Avatar: SQL exception while inserting avatar:

java.sql.SQLException: Type Conversion not supported

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcPreparedStatement.setParameter(Unknown Source)

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcPreparedStatement.setString(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.avatars.Avatar.insertIntoDb(Avatar.java:226)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.avatars.Avatar.<init>(Avatar.java:109)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.protocols.oscar.BasicFlapConnection$1.handleR esponse(BasicFlapConnection.java:209)

at net.kano.joscar.snac.SnacRequest.gotResponse(SnacRequest.java:344)

at net.kano.joscar.snac.ClientSnacProcessor.continueHandling(ClientSnacProcessor.j ava:727)

at net.kano.joscar.snac.AbstractSnacProcessor.processPacket(AbstractSnacProcessor. java:447)

at net.kano.joscar.snac.AbstractSnacProcessor.access$100(AbstractSnacProcessor.jav a:134)

at net.kano.joscar.snac.AbstractSnacProcessor$1.handlePacket(AbstractSnacProcessor .java:208)

at net.kano.joscar.flap.AbstractFlapProcessor.processPacketSynchronously(AbstractF lapProcessor.java:231)

at net.kano.joscar.flap.AsynchronousFlapProcessor$BackgroundPacketProcessor.tryPro cessingPackets(AsynchronousFlapProcessor.java:75)

at net.kano.joscar.flap.AsynchronousFlapProcessor$BackgroundPacketProcessor.run(As ynchronousFlapProcessor.java:63)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I hope that helps.

Message was edited by: Hendrik

What database are you using?

Oh, sorry, the internal one.

Type conversion not supported. ponder Ok I’m passing in plane freakin’ text. I wonder what I’m doing wrong? Maybe it’s not the avatar but the hash that I’m trying to store. Maybe I need to base64 encode that as well or something. Is this -only- occuring for MSN? Do you use anything other than MSN? GATE-393

It’s likely ICQ (too), as I just have 2 MSN contacts who are not online that often.

same Problem here, OF 3.4.1, IM Plugin 1.2.0, embedded DB, no Avatars are displayed for ICQ, MSN and AIM - the only errors I could find in the logfile were:

2007.11.05 17:00:33

org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender.append(Log4JToOpe nfireAppender.java:49)

Avatar: SQL exception while inserting avatar:

any help would be appreciated - I have accounts in the ICQ/MSN/AIM Networks and would support troubleshooting by adding contacts if necessary

I am having this same problem. I just installed this the other day, on OS X 10.5 (ppc). I am using the MSN, Yahoo, and GTalk Gateways and I don’t get avatars for any of them.

These are the last lines of my error log as well.

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.avatars.Avatar.(Avatar.java:109)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.protocols.xmpp.XMPPListener$1.run(XMPPListene r.java:147)

2007.11.14 09:12:01 org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender.append(Log4JToOpe nfireAppender.java:49) Avatar: SQL exception while inserting avatar:

Thanks for any help. I do really enjoy having the gateways local… Thanks for all the work!

OpenFire 3.4.1

IM Gateway 1.2

Brian

Hi folk! I have pending fixes for this in 1.2.1. =) Turns out Java’s SQL handling isn’t quite as slick as I thought it was. =/ If you understand how to interact with your hsqldb, I can provide you with the set of commands to run to fix your db. In fact, if anyone would be interested in doing this, I’d love to have someone try it!

I wish I knew about the embedded db, however I really don’t. I do know enough sql to be dangerous however… if there are some instructions for me to follow I will try it out

Wherever Openfire was installed on your system, there should be a bin/extra directory under it that will include:

embedded-db-viewer.sh

and

embedded-db.viewer.bat

(run the one that is appropriate for your operating system, run from that directory as well)

If you get that running, run the following mini-script inside the db viewer. (I -think- you can run commands, I haven’t used it in a while)

// Update vcards table to proper value date type
ALTER TABLE gatewayVCards ALTER COLUMN value LONGVARCHAR NOT NULL; // Update avatar table to proper imageData data type
ALTER TABLE gatewayAvatars ALTER COLUMN imageData LONGVARCHAR NOT NULL; // Update database version
UPDATE jiveVersion SET version = 5 WHERE name = 'gateway';

Message was edited by: Daniel Henninger

(nice catch on avatar vs avatars! thank you!)