Attributes from Active Directory (2000)

Setup:

Server: Windows 2003 SP2

IM Server: Openfire 3.4.1

IM Client: Spark (2.5.7)

Everything works great, clients are able to authenticate via LDAP and shared groups is working like a charm.

I noticed when I IM someone, it shows their name, their title and email address. I needed to update some titles, so I did this in Active Directory however it did not update them in the Spark Client. I added some new values such as phone numbers and after some time those showed up, but the title never seemed to have changed. I’ve closed and opened the spark client and I’ve restarted the server (spark software server) both did not resolve the issue. How can I get the Spark client to read the new values in AD?

Thanks,

VG

My guess is it is a matter of time. The servers need to sync the data. This applies to your AD servers and anything that pulls data off of the servers. If you are not using your PDC for LDAP source it may take longer for the data to sync. I changed some data on my profile a few hours ago and it is available now. I do not know how long it actually took to replicate though.

We have a small network, everyone is connected to the internal network (no external clients, vpns, etc).

I made the changes at the end of last week. Doublechecked the LDAP settings and it is pointed to the PDC. AD shows the changes and also shows the changes in Outlook (we use Exchange 2003) address book.

Any other ideas ?

That is very odd. What fields did you try to change? I know that my mappings were not quite correct with the default settings of the Openfire server. I manually edited the vCard mappings in the openfire.xml.

The main one I am concerned with is the Title. It’s showing a title in the IM window like its suppose to, but for some people, they didnt have a value you there, so I added it in AD, yet it still does not show up in Spark. Other people had a title, but it was old, so I would change it and it still shows the old title.

I changed the LDAP from the DC to another domain controller and Spark still shows the old information. Any thoughts ?

I am at a loss, unless you have a corrupt openfire database. The data should be updated at next server sync.

how often does the server sync up? I mean, the DB COULD be corrupt, but we have no other issues, everything is working great. This was a new install from last week, started using it in the office with 20 clients yesterday.

I only wish I knew what the schedule for syncing was. What database are you using?

HSQL Database Engine

I assume that means that you are using the embeded database. I would have to think that there would be an error generated somewhere in the logs pertaining to this issue. Is this system being used by clients yet? I would say clear the logs, amke a change to a user then reboot. The logs should show an error with the data sync. If the server is not widely used maybe it is time to slash and burn.

Clients started using the program yesterday. I will clear the logs, reboot and watch for an error. I will have no one else on the system so I’ll see if anything comes up. ill let you know what i find.

I’m seeing this in the error log, could it be related ?

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSess ion(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:253)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain (LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:184)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:205)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:185)

I do not think so. It is very hard to tell from just that little snipet.

I setup a secondard server just to test and its also not reading the attributes correctly. I guess it’s just a mapping issue. Thoughts?

I am not sure what could be causing the issues you are see. Do I understand correctly that your PDC is an AD 2000 server? Here is a link to the attributes in AD for reference http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555638.

I think I just had the mappings wrong, so when I updated an attribute in AD, i thought it should of changed in spark but it never was going to because I was looking at the wrong attribute. I should of caught this earlier, but at least this wont go on as an unsolved mystery.