Basic Documentation

Hi,

I’ve looked around the Ignite Realtime web site for some basic documentation on the SPark client and am yet to find any. There’s a ReadMe and a Changelog document for each release, but that’s got nothing about the program in it, just about the actual release.

I’ve loaded Spark 2.5.8 on my Vista Ultimate x86 machine and it fails to run - it starts, you can see it in Task Manager, then it unloads immediately. Nothing is entered into the event logs.

Does the Spark client require an OpenFire server to be on the network before it will load? Does it even require an OpenFire server at all - ie, can Spark be run as a standalone multi-protocol client like Pidgin can? Does Spark even run under Vista?

Some documentation outlining what Spark can do, how it needs to be configured and what it runs under would be handy. I’m sure a lot of others would appreciate it as well. I did find it a little disconcerting that there’s no real information about it anywhere on the website.

• HiltonT

Hi,

Spark runs without any XMPP server as it’s just a client. Do you have a 64bit AMD CPU? There may be some hardware configurations which cause the JVM to crash. You should find then some hotspot files in the Spark directory.

LG

Hi LG,

Yes, I’m running a Pentium-D 3.0 GHz CPU with 2 GB RAM and Vista Ultimate x86. No, there are no hotspots in the Spark directory as UAC won’t allow anything to be written back to the Program Files directory (enforcing good programming techniques and, for that matter, good user management unlike in XP). There is no Program Data\Spark nor AppData[Local|Roaming]\Spark directory either.

Java seems to run fine here for other applications. I’m running Java 1.6.0_03-b05 here.

Regards,

HiltonT