Book Giveaway!

Hey all,

I’‘m pleased to announce a montly book giveaway of “Instant Messaging in Java” (written by Jive Software’'s own Iain Shigeoka). More information can be found at: http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmpp/smack/book.jsp

During each month, every time you make a post in this forum, it will count as an automatic entry into the giveaway. If you post 30 times in a month, you’'ll be 30 times more likely to win than someone that posts just once.

We thought this would be a fun way to promote the Smack community. Good luck!

Regards,

Matt

P.S. I’‘m still making stead progress on roster support. I’‘ll likely make the beta 2 release over the next couple of days, even though roster support won’'t be fully done.

Very cool. It’‘s a great book to have if you’'re working with Java and Jabber.

( I certainly hope that its a signed copy )

I’'m sure that could be arranged.

Regards,

Matt

Hey all,

OK, I don’'t know jack about Jabber but I had to get an entry into the free book deal.

What would be the best way to get started with Jabber?

Thanks,

Jay

Jay,

I think that one of the best ways to use Smack is by bringing IM functionality into existing applications. For example, it could be used to notify users when new messages were posted in a forum, or to pass messages back and forth between two applications.

Regards,

-Matt

As Matt mentioned, passing information between applications is a great use of Jabber. These ‘‘command and control’’ scenarios are especially useful when you want to communicate across firewalls where RMI is difficult to setup, and where the overhead of JMS is undesirable.

-iain

Does this count as a post? Heh.

Sorry, that’'s not going to be good enough.

Posts have to be ‘‘substantial’’ in order to qualify. The exact definition of ‘‘substantial’’ will be determined by the Jive team on a case-by-case basis and we’'re pretty picky.

-iain

Does this count as a post? Heh.

Yeah, we’‘ll let this one through just this once as an example of what not to do, but only because you’'ve been a good poster in the past.

-Matt