Broadcast to offline and online users

I hate to repost a reply to a different thread but I really could use some help.

I’‘ve been curious about broadcasting to online and offline users also. However, I am still unclear about using groupname@broadcast.domain. Here’‘s what I’'ve tried:

• Adding groupname@broadcast.domain to my contacts. It remains pending no matter how many members of groupname are on/offline.

• Sending a chat directly to groupname@broadcast.domain. This reports the user will get the message at next login. Any users who are members of groupname do not get the message once online.

• Adding groupname@broadcast.domain to contact groups. This group is always listed as “There are no contacts in this group.”

It’'s possible I am just missing something, but it would be nice to send a message to all members of a group and store the message if they were offline.

Message was edited by: jscott

Hey jscott,

Based on your feedback a new version of the broadcast plugin has been released. You can get it from url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/wildfire/plugins.jsphere[/url].

• Adding groupname@broadcast.domain

to my contacts. It remains pending no matter how many

members of groupname are on/offline.

Presence management was not supported by previous version of the plugin. New version will let allowed users add the broadcast service to the roster. Eg. all@broadcast.myserver.com, mygroup@broadcast.myserver.com.

• Sending a chat directly to

groupname@broadcast.domain. This reports the user

will get the message at next login. Any users who are

members of groupname do not get the message once

online.

Could you check in the admin console if Offline Messages are being stored? Another explanation can be found in an error that was happening while checking if a user was allowed to send messages to the group or if he was a group member. But in this latter case you should be getting an error message back. In my tests I sent a message to a group with offline members and the messages were stored in the database.

• Adding groupname@broadcast.domain to contact

groups. This group is always listed as "There are no

contacts in this group."

Not sure what you are saying here. Let me know if the new version has fixed it. If not I will need an example or more info to understand what you are saying.

Regards,

– Gato

Gato, thanks for replying. It would really be nice if I could send a broadcast to a group and have the offline users get the broadcast upon their next login.

Based on your feedback a new version of the broadcast

plugin has been released. You can get it from

url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/wildfire/plugins.jsp

here[/url].

Thanks, again, for the update and quick response. I’'ve updated the Broadcast plugin on my server with your new version.

Presence management was not supported by previous

version of the plugin. New version will let allowed

users add the broadcast service to the roster. Eg.

all@broadcast.myserver.com,

mygroup@broadcast.myserver.com.

OK, just so I ensure I am not making a silly syntax mistake with this… I did the following:

Group’'s name: Techs

Server’'s name: im-server

In Spark, I use the ‘‘Contacts’’ → ‘‘Add Contact’’ menu and enter the following:

Jabber ID: Techs@broadcast.im-server

Nick: Techs

Group: Friends

And the Tech-broadcast user in my contacts list is marked as “Pending”. I’'ve also tried add the contact as ‘‘Techs@broadcast.127.0.0.1’’ with the same results.

Could you check in the admin console if Offline

Messages are being stored? Another explanation can be

found in an error that was happening while checking

if a user was allowed to send messages to the group

or if he was a group member. But in this latter case

you should be getting an error message back. In my

tests I sent a message to a group with offline

members and the messages were stored in the

database.

I have offline messaged set to ‘‘Store’’ → ‘‘Always Store’’, There only a few users on this server so I have allocated 10,000KB per-user for offline storage. After sending a broadcast, the offline message usage remains at 0.00 MB

Not sure what you are saying here. Let me know if the

new version has fixed it. If not I will need an

example or more info to understand what you are

saying.

I was desperate, so I began expirementing. I though I might be able to add the broadcast as a group because adding it as a contact failed.

I un-jar’‘ed a copy of the broadcast plugin to see how offline users are handled. Failing that, I’'ll grab a copy of the WildFire source and start trying to grok it.

Thanks.