Bug: Personal Rosters do not work with LDAP

I am using Jive Messenger 2.2.2 and 2.3.0 Beta and have them both working properly with LDAP authentication and groups. I have no problem with shared LDAP groups, they work great.

However, users are unable to create new personal groups in their roster. They can add contacts but it always gets put into the “General” (on PSI) or similar nameless/default group. Same installation with LDAP and personal groups work fine.

This problem exists regardless of whether or not the user is trying to contacts that exist in LDAP or contacts from remote systems or contacts from gateways (AIM/MSN/Yahoo).

This message is logged whenever a user attempts to create a new personal group with the name “Office” (no spaces):

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Trying to find all groups in the system.

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Creating a DirContext in LdapManager.getContext()…

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Created hashtable with context values, attempting to create context…

2005.10.13 16:58:58 … context created successfully, returning.

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Starting LDAP search…

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Using groupSearchFilter: (&(& (member=*) (objectClass=group) (sAMAccountName=IMAccess) )(cn=Office))

2005.10.13 16:58:58 … search finished

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Starting to populate groups with users.

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Creating a DirContext in LdapManager.getContext()…

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Created hashtable with context values, attempting to create context…

2005.10.13 16:58:58 … context created successfully, returning.

2005.10.13 16:58:58 Finished populating group(s) with users.

If there is a fix or work-around, I would welcome the information. Otherwise, this appears to be a bug.

Thanks!

Just to clarify, I have tried both 2.2.2 and 2.3.0 Beta and they both have the exact same problem. No difference.

By commenting out the sections referring to LDAP groups, users can create and manage personal groups, but (of course) LDAP group integration is unavailable.

I had this problem a few months ago and it was determined by the Psi team that it was a bug in Psi. Its supposed to be fixed in the next release.

Poppa

Actually, the problem exists with all clients. I tried it with Trillian, Exodus, PSI and a web client. All produce the exact same results.

I have the same problem, working with Exodus and Neos clients. Now we are working without AD integration for groups, but it would be great to have groups integrated with AD, and at the same time let users create their own groups in rooster. Dou you know if this feature will be available in future versions???

Seems that my problem is the other way around. My LDAP shared groups are vanishing over time, but personal rosters DO show up. See also: http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=105802&#105802

I created this personal roster by simple searching for a user on the client (Pandion & Exodus) and add it to a custom group (NOT added to ldap group, of course that doesn’'t work). Personal roster then shows up perfectly.

Using Win2003 ldap and JM 2.3.0 beta2 + MySQL 5.0.13rc on FC4.

I am having this same issue. Here is the error from my debug log:

] Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.roster.RosterItem.setGroups(RosterItem.java:335)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.roster.RosterItem.setAsCopyOf(RosterItem.java:452)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.manageRoster(IQRosterHandler .java :194)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.handleIQ(IQRosterHandler.jav a:103 )

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:48)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:242)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.processIQ(SocketReader.java:321)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.ClientSocketReader.processIQ(ClientSocketReader. java: 51)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:251)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:115)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hey guys,

If you were experiencing wattsin’'s problem then you should try again with the next nightly build. Personal groups in users roster should be possible even when using LDAP. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

– Gato

I have this exact same issue in 2.4.4.