[bug] Pubsub ItemID not overwritten

It seems there’s a bug in pubsub implementation.

When publishing a pubsub item with an already used ItemID, Openfire does not overwrite the item but generates a new ItemID.

From XEP-0060 “Note: If the publisher previously published an item with the same+
ItemID, successfully processing the request means that the service MUST
+overwrite the old item with the new item and then proceed as follows.”

Hey Kael,

The pubsub version supported by Openfire is not the very latest. One of the things that is missing is support for updating published items as you noticed. If you have a patch to contribute we would gladly include it for the next release. Otherwise you will have to wait for us to update the supported version (which is not high in our priority list).

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gaston,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I don’t know Java at all and can’t submit patches.

IMHO, Pubsub implementation should be a priority.

Also, PEP seems buggy (I’d need to invesitgate more) ; for example, one JID is publishing on the node of another JID.

And I’d wish to suggest a new Pubsub tab interface in the web admin GUI for easy Pubsub administration.

Cheers.

kael

kael2xmpp wrote:

Also, PEP seems buggy (I’d need to invesitgate more) ; for example, one JID is publishing on the node of another JID.

Hey Kael, long time no chat.

Did you happen to investigate that issue any? I would be interested to find out more about that potential bug.

Regards,

Armando

Hi Armando,

I was developing a sync app that was using Pubsub for remote storage and was mapping Firefox about:config entries into Pubsub ItemIDs. And when I wanted to update a newly modified about:config entry, OpenFire was over-writing the Pubsub ItemID generated from the app with a new ItemID.

So I couldn’t use sync capabilites and recently switched to Ejabberd because of this bug (sorry - please, don’t blame me ).

I’ll try to ping you about this bug later.

Cheers.

I was referring to the issue you mentioned about PEP:

kael2xmpp wrote:

“PEP seems buggy (I’d need to invesitgate more) ; for example, one JID is publishing on the node of another JID.”

This bug is blocker for my pubsub needs,

I will try to fix it myself…

I submitted a patch for this and many others here (http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/38466?tstart=0)