Can I remove the "Broadcast message" option from Spark 2.8.3 client?

I’ve found several posts about this, but they’re all at least a decade old. I’m wondering if there is any way to remove the “Broadcast message” option from the Actions menu in Spark.

Right now, we have a mix of Spark 2.7.5 and 2.8.3 (we’re slowly upgrading everyone). Or if there isn’t a way to remove the option completely, is there a way to lock it down so only certain users can use it?

When using with Openfire server, you can install Client Control plugin on the server and in Client Management menu disable the Broadcasting feature in Spark. In 2.7.5 it still allows to send a broadcast if you select a few users and right click them. Was fixed in recent versions.

I found the available plugin, but when I try to install it, the admin site tells me it’s unable to download and to try again. Where’s the directory on the server? I figure it might work if I try installing it that way.

You can download the plugin from https://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/plugin-archive.jsp?plugin=clientControl and drop the jar file into Openfire/plugins folder (just rename it to clientcontrol.jar, without capital letters). Openfire should pick it up in a minute or so.

But I can’t find the plugins folder. I did a search in WinSCP for “plugins” and got nothing. I see /etc/openfire, but there isn’t a plugins subfolder. Shouldn’t there be one since we have default plugins installed? Or do I need to create one since I’m adding new plugins that aren’t part of the base setup?

Maybe it’s in /usr/share/openfire or /opt/openfire. It should be somewhere, because admin console is also a plugin. All plugins go to this only folder. You can also try adding jar file via Admin Console, but using Browse menu on Plugins page.

I found it. /usr/share/openfire had a shortcut that went to /var/lib/openfire/plugins. Thanks for all of the help, wroot.