Can not add admin on install

I have this loaded up on a Windows 2k3 server, and i am trying to load this up in Ubuntu 9.04 in a virtual machine, just to see if i can have it perform better, and i will be retiring the other box.

I am to the point where i get to set up the admin account, and no matter what i put in, i get an error. I previously tested it to make sure LDAP was working and the test passed.

Also i can not get in to the logs, as i am just a regular user.

What error do you get?

No username was provided or the specified username was not found

I dont have any experience with the LDAP setup. So, maybe you should specify a user in some specific format like domain\user or user@domain?

I have had it set up on Windows currently, and just entered user

i have tried user, user\doman, and user@domain.

Now when i go back to the admin pane i get this.

HTTP ERROR: 500

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-admin-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp.java:99)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:42)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:829)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
     at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
     at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)

Hello,

I get exactly the same errors as this user. New install of Openfire 3.6.4 on a Windows Server 2003 system. Going through the web setup wizard I choose Active Directory LDAP connection, and it sees all the users fine. When I get asked to add an administrator account, no matter what I input it rejects it - “No username was provided or the specified username was not found”. I also choose domain\username and username@domain. The latter gives me the same web error this user gets.

Does anyone know why this doesn’t work?

Thank you

It now works.

I had changed the name field from “sAMAccountName” to “principalUserName” and it therefore wasn’t picking up any accounts when trying to add administrators later on. Changed it back and it now works.

Saddly i can not confirm as i still have the error above when i get to the admin section now.

I bet i again will have to blow away the install and start over

Apologies for re-opening many old conversations but…
This comes up in google search results and this error continues to show up. There is a solution posted on one of the results but people keep hitting the same thing.

The solution is to go back to the server page. Either the XMPP Domain Name or the FQDN is wrong. Mine had defaulted to machine.local_lan.int for both. It should have been :
XMPP Domain: local_lan.int
XMPP FQDN: machine.local_lan.int
Someone could put a try/catch around the line generating this and inform people that it is their server settings. Instead it suggests that this is caused by a cookie problem and to try clearing history or using an incognito tab.