Can OF servers be in the same domain for the clustering

I am building an IM which can potentially support more than 100M users, Openfire cluster is one of my options. My questions are:

1. Can Openfire cluster support 100M register users? which probably means 10M concurrent users talking to each other at the same time for the cluster. I have many machines in the data center, just want to double check if Openfire itself can scale out that much with additional machine resources.

2. Will the openfire servers be in the same domain in the cluster?

Thanks,

Peter

hi Peter Fan

im trying for answer :

1. yeah if ur machines have a qualify for requirements i mean if we talking about concurrent user on ur server which we use “tcp rules”

2. yeah u can do that using round robin dns and you will fly

Depending on your needs, you should be able to put together a configuration that works for a very large number of users. You can scale Openfire in the following ways:

• You can scale each of your server(s) up by adding network interfaces, disk space, RAM, and/or CPU(s)
  • You can scale out a cluster with multiple members (5-6) within a single XMPP domain (shared database)
  • You can scale out your user base by federating JIDs across multiple XMPP domains (each as a cluster)
  • Using various plugins and custom integration components, you can offload features and capabilities to other complementary infrastructue (via LDAP, REST/RPC, Hadoop, JMS, etc.)

In theory, you can scale indefinitely … but in practice, you will have to test and tune at each scaling dimension to ensure the specific capabilities you need will operate within your expected performance parameters.

Hope that helps. We always welcome performance metrics from the field, so feel free to post your findings back here.

can you automatically federate multiple XMPP domains with openfire? 3 domains, 3 servers, and automatically ‘share’ select groups of people between domains?