Can spark be run via a browser

Hi, i have absolutly no expiriance in Java and i sadly dont have a lot of time to learn it (not that i dont want to but i realy dont have time).

I would like it if somebody shares his/her source of a web based Sparc IM with me.

I’'m in need of a web based IM client and if i read correct one of you made it work.

Can somebody please help me out and pass over a ready to upload web based IM client.

Thank you all very very very very very very very much.

Email: nedolmgmailcom

I would include the following with the addition of start_chat_muc to allow a automatic connection to a room / conference

1. username

2. password

3. server

4. start_chat_jid

5. start_chat_muc

also i have a question, if I have a spark session runnuing, and i click on a link to start to start spark with the start_chat_jid parameter will spark recognise it is already running and just open a chat window or will it close the old session and roster and start up a brand new spark window?

Hi NeDoIM,

I would wait, there is a new release of spark something this week apparently, so the instructions for configuring a web based spark client is probably going to change, so hold on for a little bit and we should see something new soon.

Regards

Ollyando

K. So I used the exact names as listed.

1. username

2. password

3. server

4. start_chat_jid

5. start_chat_muc

To make this easier to handle in a client side way, I have it where the app takes a HttpParam style of argument.

So…

username=foo&password=test&server=jivesoftware.com&start_chat_jid=test@jivesoftware.c om&start_chat_muc=test@conference.jivesoftware.com

This way, you can specify one, two or all, or none :). This has been tested and is good to go for the 1.0.1 release.

that’‘s great ddman, that’'s exactly what i need!!

can’'t wait to try it out.

Thanks Ollyando for the information.

okay, got the new version of spark, works fine with the window install.

I extracted the spark.jar file, and placed it on the webserver.

resigned it.

now when i try and start spark via the jnlp i get the following error message

JNLPException[category: Launch File Error : Exception: null : LaunchDesc:

]

at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.getMainClassName(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

has the main class changed?

Hi Ollyando,

It has :). It has changed to com.jivesoftware.Spark.

cool that works, now to specify the parameters, do i put them on the end of the url

http://cslnas22.admin.gov.ky:7779/messenger/app/orlando.jnlp&username=xxx&passwo rd=xxx

No, actually you put them into the jnlp. So it would be something like this.

dosent seem to login

this is my jnlp file

dis-regard last message, I got it working. I think my jnlp file was cached.

I will do some testing and see how it goes. Looks good so far!!!

I’'ve been testing the software, it looking good, works well. Users are very happy with it.

Only one problem, so far.

If we are logged into spark and it is up and running, then click on a link on the web page to start chatting to a specific person using the start_chat_jid parameter it then will start another instance of spark and log off the existing instance. This takes some time and also eats up windows resources.

Would it be possibe for the program to check if it is running, if so then just start a chat window instead of loading the whole program again.

Regards

Orlando

Still waiting for Sparc to be webbased though

anyone know any web based client i can use with Jive messenger server ?

Hi NeDoIM,

You could use jwchat, which is a web based IM client.

Cheers,

Derek

To get spark running from the browser this is what i did.

First I installed spark onto a normal windows pc.

Then I copied all the jar files that were installed to my webserver.

Create a file called a jnlp file for the java webstart program.

More information about it can be found here.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/Readme.html

My jnlp file is as follows.

You need to sign the jar files as described in this document.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/developersguide/development.html#s ecurity

Then call the jnlp file from your webserver.

Hey Ollyando,

How is everything working for you now? I’'m just checking in

Cheers,

Derek

It all seems very stable at the moment. Takes alot of memory but it’'s still very usable.

had a small problem with dynamically creating the jnlp file so i can put my parameters into it.

I am using Oracle portal / plsql to generate a jnlp page. Unforunatley the generated page does not have a .jnlp extension. So to get the browser to recognise that it is a jnlp page i set the content type in the header to application/x-java-jnlp-file.

Now this seems to work.

The only thing is that my code base in the jnlp file points to the location on the webserver where the jar files are.

codebase=“http://cslnas22.admin.gov.ky:7779/messenger/app

href=“orlando.jnlp”

but I am now generating the jnlp file from a different location.

I think this is causing a problem. I need to test on more machines. It works fine on some and has an error on others. It may be due to the version of java webstart people have installed. But once logged in correctly the software works fine.

Only one request so far.

If we are logged into spark and it is up and running, then click on a link on the web page to start chatting to a specific person using the start_chat_jid parameter it then will start another instance of spark and log off the existing instance. This takes some time and also eats up windows resources.

Would it be possibe for the program to check if it is running, if so then just start a chat window instead of loading the whole program again.

I will get back to you with some more feedback soon.

Keep up the great work.

Hi Ollyando

Please tell us how things are doing. I am a bit disappointed with Jwchat and just remember that I can try spark with jnpl. I will try that later.

Hi Devs

Have you taken a look into the issue ollyando is mentioning? Please let us know.

Regards,

wmhtet

Message was edited by: wmhtet

Hi ollyando,

For internal testing, that is exactly what we did

using Web Start 1.4+. It is possible using the

current structure as long you digitially sign the

jars both in the lib dir and windows

ir. Take a look on signing at

JDK 21 Documentation - Home

rsguide/development.html#security.

Hi ddman

Since you have tested spark internally before, can you make it tomcat deployable .war file with .jnlp? it will be a lot helpful to admins who are looking for web base alternative solution to the jwchat.

Thanks ahead,

wmhtet