Cannot make server to server connection-help

Hi, i have just installed a second openfire server (4.4.0) on our network in a different domain. I cannot get server to server communications to work.
I tried the server to server test tool and these are the results: can someone help me understand the output?

thanks

xmpp:

<iq type="get" id="42-89264" from="ultra-fei.com" to="uedi-gbs.com"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/></iq>
<iq type="error" id="42-89264" to="ultra-fei.com" from="uedi-gbs.com"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/><error code="404" type="cancel"><remote-server-not-found xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></iq>

Certs:
blank

logs:

Sending server to server ping request to uedi-gbs.com
Successful server to server response received.
Primary packet routing failed
org.jivesoftware.openfire.PacketException: Cannot route packet of type IQ or Presence to bare JID: <iq type="error" id="42-89264" to="ultra-fei.com" from="uedi-gbs.com"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/><error code="404" type="cancel"><remote-server-not-found xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></iq>
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.RoutingTableImpl.routeToLocalDomain(RoutingTableImpl.java:306) ~[xmppserver-4.4.0.jar:4.4.0]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.RoutingTableImpl.routePacket(RoutingTableImpl.java:239) [xmppserver-4.4.0.jar:4.4.0]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.returnErrorToSender(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:343) [xmppserver-4.4.0.jar:4.4.0]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.addPacket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:361) [xmppserver-4.4.0.jar:4.4.0]
	at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$1.run(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:134) [xmppserver-4.4.0.jar:4.4.0]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_212]
Failed to establish server to server session.

bump, can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance!

Do you have the neccecary DNS SRV records ?
Open port 5269 on both servers (forward port if needed)

hi, thanks for the reply.

yes, i have the dns svr records in and i have confirmed that tcp/5269 is open

Log into a shell on the servers and try to telnet to the other servers port 5269 (take hostname not ip)… if there are no errors then it is not a network problem so maybe wrong configuration
Check your ssl certs…

hi, sorry for the delay. its not network, i tried telnet to the fqdn and the right IP resolved and it did connect to the port.

also, under config, starttls is optional and mutual auth is disabled.

any idea where i should look next?

i see this in the debug logs, it seems to indicate the local server cannot find the foreign server.

2019.08.13 14:21:56 org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.RoutingTableImpl - Failed to route packet to JID: ultra-fei.com packet: <iq type="error" id="278-219" to="ultra-fei.com" from="uedi-gbs.com"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/><error code="404" type="cancel"><remote-server-not-found xmlns="urn:ietf:params: xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></iq>
2019.08.13 14:21:56 org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter - IQ sent to unreachable address: <iq type="error" id="278-219" to="ultra-fei.com" from="uedi-gbs.com"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/><error code="404" type="cancel"><remote-server-not-found xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></iq>
2019.08.13 14:21:56 org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor - Error sending packet to domain 'uedi-gbs.com' (outbound queue full):
<iq type="get" id="278-219" from="ultra-fei.com" to="uedi-gbs.com">
  <ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/>
</iq>

however, the dns is there:

dig _xmpp-server._tcp.uedi-gbs.com. SRV

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-74.el7_6.2 <<>> _xmpp-server._tcp.uedi-gbs.com. SRV
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 54534
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_xmpp-server._tcp.uedi-gbs.com.        IN      SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_xmpp-server._tcp.uedi-gbs.com. 3600 IN SRV     0 0 5269 gbs-vic-chat-1.uedi-gbs.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
gbs-vic-chat-1.uedi-gbs.com. 3600 IN    A       172.30.0.15

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 172.30.0.38#53(172.30.0.38)
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 13 14:26:21 EDT 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 122

you send the ping to domain: ultra-fei.com so this domain must also have its service records

hi, no, the ping was sent from ultra-fei.com TO uedi-gbs.com

do you sit behind a router/firewall/nat?
i tested “telnet uedi-gbs.com 5269” and i could not establish a connection…
so i tested dns with “nslookup uedi-gbs.com” and did not get an ip. so it should be a dns problem…

hi, these are internal systems. to be clear, clients cannot connect to them from the Internet but they have internet access out. also, the 2 systems are NOT separated by a firewall, and in fact, they are on the same subnet

Try to add the servers to
each others whitelist in the admin console

yes, i tried that

btw, i was confused by the interface, do you add the domain you want to connect to…or the server in that domain? i added both.

also, i upgraded to 4.41…did not help

you have to add the xmpp domain of the server…

check:
STARTTLS policy > optional
Mutual Authentication > disabled
Certificate chain checking > Allow peer certificates to be self-signed.
Encryption Protocols > TLSv1, TLSv1.1, TLSv1.2
Encryption Cipher Suites > all to left (for testing)…

totzkotz, thanks for sticking with this, I appreciate your time.

i made the changes you suggested, most of the settings were that way already. it had no affect. a test results in the following:
xmpp:

<iq type="get" id="220-7048" from="gbs-vic-chat-1.uedi-gbs.com" to="ultra-fei.com"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/></iq>
<iq type="error" id="220-7048" to="gbs-vic-chat-1.uedi-gbs.com" from="ultra-fei.com"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/><error code="404" type="cancel"><remote-server-not-found xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></iq>

certs:
empty

logs:

Sending server to server ping request to ultra-fei.com
Successful server to server response received.
Failed to establish server to server session.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Enabling debug logging will give you a wealth of data. I’d start with that.

I’ve also found issues with s2s in the 4.4.x branch. Things are improving this week - the first fix should already be in the nightly build.

sorry for the delay. I enabled debug logging and then attempted to send a chat to someone on the foreign server (uedi-gbs.com)…this is what was in the debug log

at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.access$1300(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:49) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:1128) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.IoFilterAdapter.messageReceived(IoFilterAdapter.java:122) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:650) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.access$1300(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:49) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:1128) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter$ProtocolDecoderOutputImpl.flush(ProtocolCodecFilter.java:413) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecFilter.java:257) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:650) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.IoFilterEvent.fire(IoFilterEvent.java:106) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.session.IoEvent.run(IoEvent.java:89) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:766) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTasks(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:758) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:697) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_222]
2019.09.18 13:50:59 org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication - SASL negotiation failed for session: org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalClientSession@1b555fe3 status: 1 address: gbs-vic-chat-1.uedi-gbs.com/33kk1q0oxj id: 33kk1q0oxj presence:
<presence type="unavailable"/>
javax.security.sasl.SaslException: PLAIN authentication failed for: stan.braithwaite
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.sasl.SaslServerPlainImpl.evaluateResponse(SaslServerPlainImpl.java:144) ~[xmppserver-4.4.1.jar:4.4.1]
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication.handle(SASLAuthentication.java:357) [xmppserver-4.4.1.jar:4.4.1]
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:185) [xmppserver-4.4.1.jar:4.4.1]
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandler.java:183) [xmppserver-4.4.1.jar:4.4.1]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:1015) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.IoFilterAdapter.messageReceived(IoFilterAdapter.java:122) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter$ProtocolDecoderOutputImpl.flush(ProtocolCodecFilter.java:413) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecFilter.java:257) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.IoFilterEvent.fire(IoFilterEvent.java:106) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.core.session.IoEvent.run(IoEvent.java:89) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:766) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTasks(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:758) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:697) [mina-core-2.1.3.jar:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_222]
Caused by: javax.security.sasl.SaslException: PLAIN: user not authorized: stan.braithwaite
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.sasl.SaslServerPlainImpl.evaluateResponse(SaslServerPlainImpl.java:133) ~[xmppserver-4.4.1.jar:4.4.1]
... 22 more
2019.09.18 13:50:59 org.apache.mina.filter.ssl.SslFilter - Session Server[18](SSL): Writing Message : WriteRequest: HeapBuffer[pos=0 lim=77 cap=128: 3C 66 61 69 6C 75 72 65 20 78 6D 6C 6E 73 3D 22...]
2019.09.18 13:50:59 org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor - Adding event MESSAGE_SENT to session 18
Queue : [MESSAGE_SENT, ]