Cant receive msgs until presence sent

Just installed the v2.2. It seems that I cannot receive (though I can send) messages until my client sets a presence. We’‘re using Jabber for XML packet routing, not IM so presence isn’'t required (and often generates large number of unnecessary messages when updating).

Hey mbowman,

That is the intended server functionality. The XMPP states that a client shouldn’'t receive any message until he/she becomes available. Therefore, once the client has sent an available presence the server will start sending messages to the client. In other words, the client is not available until he sends an available presence.

Regards,

– Gato

i found the spec that says IM clients should set presence to available, but not that the server can’'t send until it does. either way… when i send the privacy list request to deny all presence-in and presence-out messages, i get 503 errors. since our clients are all programs (sensors reporting mgmt data about a server) we might have several hundred instances of the same id connected simultaneously. the number of presence messages generated is way too large on each connect (a factor of 100X presence messages for each event we generate).

Hey mbowman,

Jive Messenger does not support privacy lists yet. We are planning to add support for it in a future version. You can vote the issue JM-102 to raise its priority.

Regards,

– Gato