Case sensitive JID not appearing in shared rosters

Good day,

I’'m using 3.1.1 at the moment and have noticed something strange, but am not sure who to blame

Lets say we have some user who creates an account myusername@server

This account is then added to some shared roster.

This user setups the pidgin client and puts “MYUSERNAME” as their screen name.

They are able to log in, but they do not show up as online to others in their shared roster. Nor do they show up as online in the shared roster listing on the admin console.

Once they change Pidgin to use “myusername” as their screen name, all is well.

Any idears? thanks!

daryl

Greetings,

Just to follow up, I am now running 3.4.1 and notice that if Pidgin/Gaim are unable to connect to the server when the case of the username is different.

So if the server has the account as ‘myusername’ and the client is configured as ‘MyUsername’, you get “Not Authorized” Errors.

daryl

Hi,

I use Spark 257 and always a local upper case user name for login.

Is it possible that your client sends an invalid JID (with upper case characters) to Openfire?

LG

Hi LG,

It does, but this worked without issue prior to 3.4.1. Moreover, I now notice that all JIDs are listed as lowercase in the admin interface under sessions.

daryl

Hi,

I’m one of the users who prefer strict checks, so if this is really a client issue (not 100% sure about this) I would not like to change Openfire. There is always the danger that the protocol becomes as lousy as HTML where browsers need some AI to render web pages if the xmpp servers accept invalid packets. I guess that one can talk to the Pidgin developers, they may be able to fix it quickly.

LG

Hi LG,

I agree with you. In this case, I believe both sides are now correct with Openfire correcting a previous issue that it let slide prior to 3.4.1

Its still not clear to me if the spec says JIDs are case sensitive.

daryl