Change ip address/dns on new openfire setup

I just installed openfire on a base centos install under vmware. I connected to our AD and all the users are showing up and able to login. Right now i am just testing it and using dhcp. I know have a static ip that i need to assign. I have already added it to dns. I tried this last week but after i changed everything i wasnt able to login to the admin console because i still think it had the old ip stored in there. What is the best way for updating the ip for this. Would i just shut down the server, change the ip on the linux box, reboot the boot, power it back on and start the openfire service. Would that work? Luckily i took a backup of the vmware so i restored it when i couldnt log in and was able to get it to work with the old ip address.

Property Name:
admin.authorizedJIDs

I have it so i can login and administrator but its by the current ip address.

thanks

1 Like

Josh wrote:

Would i just shut down the server, change the ip on the linux box, reboot the boot, power it back on and start the openfire service. Would that work?

Yes, i think this should work. Openfire is not storing IP address in its configuration. Unless you specify the interface manually in /conf/openfire.xml

hey there. I just checked my openfire.xml and i did manually create the ip address when i setup the openfire server. So what do i need to do with this. When i shut down the server, change the ip address on the linux box, modify the openfire.xml, reboot the server, start the openfire service. Should this work???

en

org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider

true

Josh wrote:

When i shut down the server, change the ip address on the linux box, modify the openfire.xml, reboot the server, start the openfire service. Should this work???

I think it should work, though no guarantees. You can always revert to old IP and settings.

well last time when i tried to update the ip address, i was never able to log back in to the admin console. what do i need to do to make sure i can log back into it. I added the new ip address/my user name under this.

I also left the old ip address/username in there too.

Property Name:
admin.authorizedJIDs

hey having problems. So i changed everything above and able to log back in to the console and log in to spark. Now i am still having issues with the old ip address for the server name in the admin console.

xmpp.domain

Click to edit this property
Click to delete this property

It is still showing the old ip address and when i go to change it to the new address, this old one comes back.

Server Information

Below you will find server information, ports being used and latest news about Openfire.

Server Properties
Server Uptime:
Less than 1 minute – started Apr 28, 2011 6:55:30 AM
Version:
Openfire 3.7.0
Server Directory:
/opt/openfire
Server Name:
Found RSA certificate that is not valid for the server domain. 192.168.250.242

I need help with this please. thanks

So it looks like you are using IP as a name for your server. You can’t change xmpp.domain value easily, so one option is just to leave it this way, or i don’t know what to do. Never has changed domain name before. Probably you also have to change every user’s information to correspond the new name.

hey i got it working with some playing. thanks for all the help with this. All the users are logged back in.

hey i did find one other issue. now when i try to login to http://192.168.250.120:9090 it wont load. I found out when i reran the setup, i would get java errors at the end so i changed the port to 9092 and 9093 and now the admin console comes up with :9092. Is there a way for me to get it back to the 9090 or should i just leave it at the 92 as its working just fine now.

You can change the port in the server settings on the main page. But you can leave it like this.

cool man. thanks for all the help with this. I tested the https with the 9093 port and it works. All is working now.