Chat without ThreadID

In the process of creating a simple bot using Smack I have encountered a problem for which a patch has been submitted below. Could someone please make sure that the deveopers see this?

It appears that when a chat without threadID is initiated with a bot written with Smack, Smack goes ahead and invents a thread ID. Meanwhile in ChatManager.java it is clear that both threaded and nonthreaded chats should be handled (threadChats, jidChats). It should just be accepting chats without thread id’'s right?

As a result of how it works now, this little bit of decision logic does what you might not expect. A new chat is created every time.

Chat chat;

if (message.getThread() == null) {

chat = getUserChat(StringUtils.parseBareAddress(message.getFrom()));

}

else {

chat = getThreadChat(message.getThread());

if (chat == null) {

// Try to locate the chat based on the sender of the message

chat = getUserChat(StringUtils.parseBareAddress(message.getFrom()));

}

}

if(chat == null) {

chat = createChat(message);

}

Clearly upon initiating a chat the ID can be invented, but not upon receiving a chat, because the result is that every new message received in an externally initiated chat appears to Smack to be a whole new thread!

Index: source/org/jivesoftware/smack/ChatManager.java

===================================================================

— source/org/jivesoftware/smack/ChatManager.java (revision 8394)

+++ source/org/jivesoftware/smack/ChatManager.java (working copy)

@@ -159,7 +159,9 @@

private Chat createChat(String userJID, String threadID, boolean createdLocally) {

Chat chat = new Chat(this, userJID, threadID);

•    threadChats.put(threadID, chat);

•   if (threadID != null) {

•           threadChats.put(threadID, chat);

•   }

jidChats.put(userJID, chat);

for(ChatManagerListener listener : chatManagerListeners) {

@@ -171,9 +173,6 @@

private Chat createChat(Message message) {

String threadID = message.getThread();

•    if(threadID == null) {

•        threadID = nextID();

•    }

String userJID = message.getFrom();

return createChat(userJID, threadID, false);

Message was edited by: fluxe1963

How do you create a non threaded chat?

I am using createChat() and cant see an option to do so. Or are you saying here that by default they are non threaded, then smack is adding the threadid?

I have just been looking at why I cant get psi and miranda to chat with my smack app, and its because the messages are type chat with a threadid. PSI will only return the thread if the message is plain.

http://www.sixfive.co.uk/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=D66A96AE-F1FF-8C8A-A0B1EF41C A3AC067