Client gets disconnected, bug with carbons? OF3.9.3

Hello

My setup:

User1: Jitsi on mobile and Gajim on desktop

User2: Jitsi on mobile and Gajim on desktop

Server: Openfire 3.9.3

Problem:

User1 sends a first message (Gajim) to user2, user2 replies on mobile (Jitsi). If user1 then replies again, user1 gets disconnected by openfire. I suspect carbons could be involved in the problem, problably in combination with a fault in one of the clients. Both Gajim and Jitsi supports carbons and works most of the time with openfire but this error happens way to often.

Full client log:

http://pastebin.com/MGicJ9Y1

Full server log:

http://pastebin.com/asJKwPhr

The interesting part of the server log:

2014.05.13 11:02:27 org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler - Closing connection due to error while processing message: …

org.dom4j.IllegalAddException: The node … could not be added to the element “forwarded” because: The Node already has an existing parent of “forwarded”

If one looks at the timestamps from both the client and the server one can see that it’s the message “second from Gajim” that makes openfire spit the error and close the connection to the client.

Disclaimer, I first tried to post this with embedded logs formatted for easy reading, however the forum gave some error without information when I tried to embed the logs so I’ve linked to the logs on pastebin.

Thank you for your bug report!

It seems like this issue occurs only, if more than one message carbon is created, in which case the same message gets added to multiple “forwarded” elements, resulting in this error.

I will fix it later.

Tracked as https://igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/OF-803

Something is wrong with the automatic build system, so no nightlies with this change. Will notify Daryl (the one maintaining the build system) about that issue.

Thanks! I would like to test the fix so I’ll wait for the builds or 3.9.4 whatever comes first.

Hi CSH,

I am facing same issue with OF3.9.3. Is there any solution right now? If not then how long it will take?

It’s already fixed for the next release. Don’t know when and if 3.9.4 will be released.

You can try a nightly build, if you want to test: https://igniterealtime.org/downloads/nightly_openfire.jsp

I’ve tried the nightlies and there seems to be issues which makes them unusable for me:

Please test and confirm.

Yes, I’ve read your thread and even shortly discussed it with Flow. Unfortunately, there’s now idea what it is, but it seems unrelated to Message Carbons.

There’s some IQ-error (feature-not-implemented) routed wrongly (with a extension), which raises the error, which is strange.

I reviewed the changes, which were made since 3.9.3 and can’t imagine, what should cause this error.

Hi,

I think i am dealing with a variant of this issue.

My Setup:

Openfire 3.9.3

user01: Spark

user02: Gajim, Gajim, Gajim (all of them with carbons enabled and set to the same priority)

user01 sends a message to user02 -> the three of the clients for user02 get the message.

when any of the clients for user02 tries to reply the message that one client goes offline.

I noted the same error reported by @Anders :

2014.10.10 10:42:42 org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler - Closing connection due to error while processing message:

org.dom4j.IllegalAddException: The node “org.dom4j.tree.DefaultElement@70de9c7f [Element:]” could not be added to the element “forwarded” because: The Node already has an existing parent of “forwarded”

I tried with different combinations of clients for user02 to isolate the issue to the server software: (jitsi/gajim/yaxim , jitsi/gajim/gajim) and i got the same result, I noticed this happens when there are more than two sessions with carbons (same user), so the problem starts when a third session comes into place.

@CSH could it be related? if so, does the same fix apply?

Thanks,

@csh could it be related? if so, does the same fix apply?

Yes, I am pretty sure it’s the same bug.