Clients and connection manager on the same machine

Hi everyone,

the way I understood the connection manager’s documentation, clients and a connection manager cannot run on the same machine
since the clients need to resolve the IP of the connection manager but the connection manager needs to resolve the IP of the real openfire server which is different.

I tried to connect to a local connection manager with smack like this:
ConnectionConfiguration config = new ConnectionConfiguration(“localhost”, 5222);
XMPPConnection connection = new XMPPConnection(config);
connection.connect();

but got:
org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: could not determine namespace bound to element prefix stream (position: START_DOCUMENT seen stream:error@1:14)
at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseStartTag(MXParser.java:1816)

Exception in thread “main” Connection failed. No response from server.:
at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.startup(PacketReader.java:164)

and in the connection manager’s error log:
2008.08.21 14:28:50 [org.jivesoftware.multiplexer.net.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionH andler.java:131)] Closing connection due to error while processing message: <stream:stream to=“localhost” xmlns=“jabber:client” xmlns:stream=“http://etherx.jabber.org/streams” version=“1.0”>
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.multiplexer.ServerSurrogate.getSASLMechanisms(ServerSurrogate. java:195)

Is it possible to have clients and the connection manager run on the same machine?

Thanks in advance
Markus

hi , i know yeaaars has past since u asked this but i have same problem now ! did you solve it?