Compiling and running

So Im getting my feet wet with ActionScript. I finally figured out how to compile sparkweb with ant (Thanks Daniel!) and it compiles without error. I went to run it and… nothing. Flash is running, but the screen is grey with nothing happening. So I installed the flash debugger, and I get more info:

[Fault] exception, information=VerifyError: Error #1014: Class mx.charts.chartClasses::ChartElement could not be found.

That seems like its apart of the flex library, so why wouldnt it be there?

I figured it out. While it is possible to build without Flex Builder, you need to have the libraries that come with Flex Builder. The free Flex SDK does not contain all the libraries that are used here. In particular, I needed these:

datavisualization.swc

qtp.swc

automation.swc

automation_agent.swc

automation_dmv.swc

automation_flashflexkit.swc

and the locale resource bundles associated with these.

The error in question involves a class from the datavisualization library, the others seem to be dependancies of that library. Nothing in any of the code uses the mx.charts stuff, so I can only guess that its something in the corelib.swc or flexlib.swc libraries from SparkWebCommonComponents. Where did these come from? What license are they under? Is this something we can fix?

Note: The Flex Builder is not free. It is unclear to me what the licensing of these libraries are under, but I presume the same license as Flex Builder.

So legally I can only use these for the 60 day trial, unless I fork over the $250 for Flex Builder.

I agree, considering this is now an open source project, it would be nice to be able get away from having to use part/all of a commercial product to compile it.

slushpupie, I don’t suppose you could post the steps you used to get it compiling? Did you use eclipse, or did you do it from the command line?

I have compiled without error in the compilation using only flex in Linux, it produce me a swf but it’s not useful… yet.

I 'll try to post it how i do it.

Roberto

slushpupie wrote:

I figured it out. While it is possible to build without Flex Builder, you need to have the libraries that come with Flex Builder. The free Flex SDK does not contain all the libraries that are used here. In particular, I needed these:

datavisualization.swc

qtp.swc

automation.swc

automation_agent.swc

automation_dmv.swc

The error in question involves a class from the datavisualization library, the others seem to be dependancies of that library. Nothing in any of the code uses the mx.charts stuff, so I can only guess that its something in the corelib.swc or flexlib.swc libraries from SparkWebCommonComponents. Where did these come from? What license are they under? Is this something we can fix?

Note: The Flex Builder is not free. It is unclear to me what the licensing of these libraries are under, but I presume the same license as Flex Builder.

So legally I can only use these for the 60 day trial, unless I fork over the $250 for Flex Builder.

I am using FlexBuilder 3 plugin for Eclipse (Trial version). When I try to run the ant scripts for SparkWeb from SVN trunk, I got the error messages “Error: Java heap space [mxmlc] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space” in the attached file.

Any ideas? Thanks~
Exceptions.txt (3943 Bytes)

kaiphone wrote:

slushpupie wrote:

datavisualization.swc

qtp.swc

automation.swc

automation_agent.swc

automation_dmv.swc

I am using FlexBuilder 3 plugin for Eclipse (Trial version). When I try to run the ant scripts for SparkWeb from SVN trunk, I got the error messages “Error: Java heap space [mxmlc] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space” in the attached file.

Any ideas? Thanks~

I figured out that may relate to the Java heap size problem. So, I did the followings and the build script can now run successfully:

From Eclipse

1. Go to windows → preferences → java → installed JREs
  2. Select the JRE
  3. Edit → Enter something like “-Xmx512M” in the default VM arguments field

Hope it helps if some others have the same problem.