Conference Chat rooms "disappeared"

Ok, I’m not certain when or how this occurred. I upgraded to 3.6.0 quite some time ago, and am pretty sure it was working at one point.

I have 2 chat rooms, permanent ones. I can see them in the database in the ofMucServiceProp table. But in the administration UI it shows no chat rooms and of course the clients see no chat rooms.

Any suggestions where to look? I see no errors logged. I have security auditing on, they have not been deleted (hence they are still in the table…)

Here are the two entries in the table, thanks for any and all suggestions!

roomID
creationDate
modificationDate
name
pilotroom
test
naturalName
Pilot Room
Test Room
description
A room to meet in during the pilot rollout
Just for testing Group Chat
lockedDate
emptyDate
canChangeSubject
maxUsers
publicRoom
moderated
membersOnly
canInvite
roomPassword
NULL
NULL
canDiscoverJID
logEnabled
subject
Pilot test progress / questions / etc.
rolesToBroadcast
useReservedNick
canChangeNick
canRegister
serviceID

1 Like

Hey Brian,

Openfire will not load into memory rooms that have been inactive for a certain number of days. I think if was 20 or 30 days aprox. If a user tries to join any of those rooms then the server will load them from the database and everything will continue as if nothing happened. This is an optimization so that the number of rooms can keep growing and the server does not run out of memory due to inactive rooms. There is a system property (that I cannot recall the name right now) where you can configure the number of days before ‘archving’ the room.

– Gato

Well… the custom client I have needs to see the room in the list to join a conference. I was going to download spark and try that, but I found a work around… I attempted to create a new room with the same roomID. It fails, saying the roomID already exists. And now the room shows up in the administrator, and I can see and join the room from my client.

The side effect of all this, though, is that the conference service is setup to show full history up to a couple hundred messages when you connect, and when I just connected, there is no history at all in this room. There should have been several messages in the history.

If you could recall that setting, I would appreciate it, I could not find it. Some rooms we setup should stick around even if not used for a long time. We have a relatively small number of private users, and I am not concerned about these rooms getting unmanageable. Thank you for explaining what happened, I thought the DB was corrupt or something.

xmpp.muc.unload.empty_days (default value - 30) http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1061

Thanks for the doc reference!