Conference (MUC) with DNS name in subdomain possible?

Hi!

My setup is as follows:

• wildfire server name is set to “example.com”, since I want to use JIDs as user@example.com.

• DNS name for the server is jabber.example.com (example.com points, by chance, at the same IP though). *.jabber.example.com is assigned as well.

• DNS SRV records are set as appropriate and work so the external chatting (with other servers) is possible.

• MUC/Conference is started with a Group chat service name of “conference” (default).

The problem:

I want to use conference.jabber.example.com as the name for the MUC agent, but with example.com as the domain. The obvious way of naming the Group chat service name “conference.jabber” doesn’‘t work though: Admin console says it’'s invalid.

What am I missing? How would I setup an agent name “a subdomain away” from my server name?

Thanks a lot!

Markus

Hi Markus,

first I did wonder about “wan’'t to use”, should be “want to use”, shouldn’'t it?

Do you also use imap.email.exmaple.com for email and intranet.web.example.com for your intranet?

I just want to know, before thinking whether one can solve your problem.

LG

Hi!

first I did wonder about “wan’'t to use”, should be “want to use”, shouldn’'t it?

Yes, that was a typo. Having a homepage about misuse of the ‘’ myself makes it even more embarrassing for me. At least it shows I grasped the concept before

Do you also use imap.email.exmaple.com for email and intranet.web.example.com for your intranet?

I just want to know, before thinking whether one can solve your problem.

I see what you mean So my answer is “I better would do this”. First of all I don’‘t know if it’‘s only a DNS issue yet. Furthermore, even if it is, I like the use of the subdomain better. For one agent it may not be as important, but for others like “msn.example.com” or alike, it would be better to use “speaking names” like msn-transport.jabber.example.com. Ok, it’'s only my opinion, but I can imagine this would be the nice way to to it.

Thanks

Markus