Conferences are not logging

I am new to Openfire, and trying to figure out why all person to person chats are logged, but unfortunately no conferences (Group Chat) are being logged. We have one persistent room in which the “Log Room Conversations” checkbox is checked, yet this room is never in the logs. Any help would be appreciated at this point.

Hey Ashx,

How are you logging room activity? Are you using the monitoring plugin? The audit log? Something else? The Log Room Conversations room configuration only works for persistent rooms and the information will be stored in the database. That information is unrelated to the monitoring plugin or the audit system.

Regards,

– Gato

In doing some digging, I have found the group chats are being logged. However, it is the software we are using to access the data that isn’t displaying the group chats. We’ve been using BaqKyra Software’s LogView for Wildfire v1.1. Is there some other offline solution for this?

Hey Ashx,

Another option is to use the monitoring plugin. It will store the information in the database but it will also allow you to search and view conversations in PDF format.

Regards,

– Gato

I am trying to avoid the plug-in solution, as any production changes in our organization is a bit of a song and a dance. Since the data i’m looking for is already in a log, something a little less intrusive but I will investigate that option.

Hey Ashx,

I’m not sure which are your concerns with using plugins. Plugins are the official way of adding new extensions to the server. Using plugins is not intrusive.

Regards,

– Gato

the text log files also tend to get larger than most operating systems will allow in very short order (2+ GB too about 5 days). the plugin also does many other functions as well. the only downside is there is no easy remove method for old logs. I used my database admin tool, which was easy enough but this really should be handled by the openfire plugin somehow.

I wanted to take a moment out and thank everyone who pointed me in the direction of the plugin. I gave it a try last night and was surprised how easy it was. Hehehehehe, however… it didn’t run because it required v3.5.1 and we’re still in 3.3.2 land. So, wish me luck on the upgrade… whenever it may be done.

The upgrade went well, and am running the monitoring plugin now. Which is very cool.

My only question at this point, is in the System Properties is a switch for conversation.roomsArchived. What is this?

Hey Ashx,

Glad to hear that things are looking good. You can ignore that system property. That is where the setup information is stored regarding chat archiving that is used by the monitoring plugin. In other words, the configuration should be modified from the monitoring plugin instead of changing the system property directly.

Regards,

– Gato

Cool. That works for me.