Connect from a computer outside the network?

in our organisation i’‘ve installed Wildfire so we can communicate with each other. i’‘ve installed it onto our network server as school.local. all the client computers have made accounts and can communicate perfect… but there are 2 computers who are on a different network, we have a curriculum(school.local) side and an admin side. these are not on the school.local domain and have completly different IP’'s.when i try to connect to westview.local we get no connection what so ever, is there anyway i can get these 2 computers to connect??

This sounds like a simple networking or DNS issue. Assuming that the school.local addresses can’'t be resolved from the westview network, you probably just need to add a DNS record into the westview.local zone that points to the school.local IP address. Just create a jabber.westview.local[/b] DNS entry and point it to the right IP.

The more information you can provide about your network, the more we’'ll be able to help diagnose the problem.

Sorry i wrote my post slightly wrong, there is no westview.local it’'s all just school.local

there are 2 computers not on this school.local network, they are on an admin side managed by another company. is it not possible to make this server public?? that way ANYONE can connect to it??

Yes, that’‘s possible. This is a simple networking issue. If the other machines can route to the jabber server, they should be able to connect – all they need at that point is a valid username and password. If you’'re behind a firewall, you will need to poke a hole in it to allow them through.

I don’'t quite understand how this can be done, possible for you to assist me further???

Hi,

If the admin network is used to manage the school.local servers then it should be possible to open port 5222 in the firewall. Then you should be able to connect using the IP address and port 5222.

I assume that the admin network can not resolve school.local hosts. If it is not possible and you have just two computers you may edit the hosts file (/etc/hosts for unix, %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts for windows) and add the ip address and name of the Wifi server.

LG

Thanks for that reply.

The admin network is not used to manage school.local, i manage school.local which is the whole curriculum side of our network, the admin side(2 machines) is managed by another company so i also barely know much about these machines. the admin network cannot resolve to school.local at all but i’'m not sure what to add to the hosts file??

Hi,

For “external” users (from outside the network of your server) to be able to connect you must first of all make that server accessible to that “external” network. If that network is the internet, you must make the server accessible to the internet.

For users to login to Jabber (Wildfire) you must open the clinet-to-server port 5222 (or 5223 for encrypted communication). That way the users (clients) can connect to the server.

There is another way for “external” users to chat with other users on your server - and that is to open the server-to-server port 5269. That way external users can connect to another server[/b] (for instance jabber.org), and then add users on your server to their contact list (and of course chat with them).

Hope it helps,

/John

There is another way for “external” users to chat

with other users on your server - and that is to open

the server-to-server port 5269. That way external

users can connect to another server[/b] (for

instance jabber.org), and then add users on your

server to their contact list (and of course chat with

them).

That won’‘t work if the server’‘s using a .local-address, because this domain is only valid on the local network, jabber.org doesn’'t know about that either.

The best bet is probably to just supply the plain IP-address for the server to the clients in the other network instead of the .local-name (note that the Jabber ID doesn’'t change, just the server address).

Hi,

are the networks in the same building, then it may be possible to get a connection, or is admin.local a LAN which must pass the internet to reach school.local? Maybe you can give us your ip addess if jabber.school.local and host1.admin.local (I assume that you use private IP’‘s like 10.4.55.66/8 or 196.168.3.4/16) and tell us what’‘s between the LAN’'s.

It is possible that both LAN’'s use the same private LAN, then routing will become interesting (=very difficult).

LG

yes both networks are in the same building, the first… curriculum side is managed by me, the second the admin side which is only 2 computers is managed by a company called Sx3… ive contacted them yesterday to make sure ports 5222, 5223 and 5269 are opened, i’'m just awaiting their confirmation. they are definetly all connected through the same cabinet as they both recieve internet from the same source and route back to the same place, i also know this because in another senario there is a computer on the curriculum side mapping a drive from the admin side, which works fine. Yes we do also use 192.168.100.XX