Connect private jabber server to public ones

Hi there,

we are using an openfire server in our company for internal communication. Now we want to jabber also with external contacts that e.g. have a jabber.org or gmail.com Account. How can we connect to users that use public jabber servers?

Thanks for hints!

you need to allow the xmpp traffic to pass on your firewall (5222, 5223). Then you just add the users to your roster using their full JID (e.x. johnd@jabber.org).

5223 is allowed to go out and in, but not 5222 (as I’m only allowing SSL Connection). Is that the problem?

depends on the server you are attempting to converse with. If they don’t use SSL you need to support standard connections.

Hmmm, does not seem to work even if port 5223 and 5222 is transported.

I’m getting following error in my info.log when sending message to an “external” (e.g. jabber.org) contact:

2009.03.10 08:21:20 Dropper: found illegal IQ packet, repaired packet:

NIDAG

Do I need to enable some transport or something like that ?

I think that this logentry from warn.log does say more:

2009.03.11 09:01:39 Error returning error to sender. Original packet:

org.jivesoftware.openfire.PacketException: Cannot route packet of type IQ or Presence to bare JID:

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.RoutingTableImpl.routePacket(RoutingTableImpl.jav a:217)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.return ErrorToSender(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:285)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:219)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any help appreciated.

I now followed the S2S Guide and now everything works. I made the mistake that I required SSL connections for jabber.org, which the service obviously does not support.