Connecting to one JID using multiple devices

Hi

I am using Openfire 4.0.3. Recently I wanted my clients to use same JID with multiple devices (for example spark on windows and IM+ on android) but when someone sends a message to another JID (for example user@openfire-srv), openfire sends the message to the most recent active resource (not all the clients that are logged into the server).

I added route.all-resources with true value to the server properties and restarted the server. I also made sure that clients are using the general JID (for example alex@openfire-srv not a bare JID like alex@openfire/spark) then I set all priorities to 1 so the message doesn’t just reach the resource with the most priority but I still got problem cause the messages still reach the most recent resource.

Another thing that I need is that I want my users to see all their messages that are sent with every resource, for example Alex got IM+ on his android and spark on his Windows.Now Alex sends “Hello” to Jim with his spark then I need Alex to see his sent message on both devices (IM+ and Spark).

I will be so thankful if anyone cant make a suggestion on how to make these work.

I think you’re talking about carbon support. Unfortunately, spark does not support carbons. You may want to test with a client that does support carbons to see if you get the desired results.

Even carbon copy won’t give you full synchronization as it only syncs messages for online clients. You then need message archive support to be able to store and retrieve history from the server. Again, not supported by Spark. Explanation: message synchronization between clients

thanks but what about receiving messages with resources that use same priority ?

Is route.all-resources properties just not working or am I doing something wrong ?

How did you make clients to use only the bare JID? A client usually will send a message to a bare JID when a conversation is first initiated, but when a client sends a reply, it usually sends it to the resource it got a message from, so not a bare JID anymore. Most (if not all) clients operate like that. So, unless you somehow modify your clients (source code) this property will only work for a first message in a new conversation. New conversation happens after both parties close their chats (i think), or you can try to restart both clients to make sure it is reset.

E.g.

user1@server/resource1 sends a message to user2@server

user2@server receives a message and it sees that it came from user1@server/resource1

when user2@server replies, it sends it directly to user1@server/resource1, that’s why user1@server/resource2 won’t get it, even if both resources have the same priority.

As explained in that document, this property wasn’t intended for message synchronization. I think it was created for some specific scenarios like sending announcements from a server, etc.