Connecting with Other IM

Hi Everybody,

I have installed Both Wildfire and Spark for IM purpose. Now I would like to know is it possible that I can add other IM ID’'s like yahoo,msn,gmail etc so that I can instantly message them.

Please provide some details. If possible

Thanks in advance.

Hi jawa007,

Take a look at the beta version of the gateway plugin available here.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi ryang,

Thanks for reply. I copy the jar files in appropriate directory of W/F server, but it is not connecting to gmail or yahoo.

Help !

Hi jawa007,

Did you look at the readme that comes with the plugin? By default, all the features of the plugin are disabled so to use Yahoo you’‘ll have to enable that particular gateway. As for GMail/Googletalk, you don’'t have to use the gateway plugin at all to access that service, just make you have Server to Server connections enabled in the Admin Console (Server -> Server Settings).

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi Ryang,

I am back with more problems. I configure and enable the Gateway setting from the “Gateway section”. But still not connecting to any yahoo or IM Ids. I checked my server log and gets lot of exception. This is what I get :

*at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSession(Ou tgoingServerSession.java:254)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain(Outgo ingServerSession.java:140)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.createSessionAndSendPac ket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:130)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.access$300(OutgoingSess ionPromise.java:40)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$1$1.run(OutgoingSession Promise.java:95)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2006.11.01 11:08:34 [org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSession(O utgoingServerSession.java:259)

] Error trying to connect to remote server: yahoo.com(DNS lookup: yahoo.com:5269)

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSession(Ou tgoingServerSession.java:254)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain(Outgo ingServerSession.java:140)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.createSessionAndSendPac ket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:130)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.access$300(OutgoingSess ionPromise.java:40)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$1$1.run(OutgoingSession Promise.java:95)

2006.11.01 12:14:22 [org.jivesoftware.phone.PhonePlugin.destroy(PhonePlugin.java:126)

] Error unregistering component

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.phone.PhonePlugin.destroy(PhonePlugin.java:123)

at org.jivesoftware.phone.PhonePlugin$1.call(PhonePlugin.java:281)

at org.jivesoftware.phone.PhonePlugin$1.call(PhonePlugin.java:276)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

2006.11.01 12:20:11 [org.jivesoftware.phone.PhonePlugin.destroy(PhonePlugin.java:126)

] Error unregistering component

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.phone.PhonePlugin.destroy(PhonePlugin.java:123)

at org.jivesoftware.phone.PhonePlugin$1.call(PhonePlugin.java:281)

at org.jivesoftware.phone.PhonePlugin$1.call(PhonePlugin.java:276)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)*

I m using Wildfire 3.1.1 and Spark 2.0.5 (Both the latest one).

Also can u tell me whether the following procedure right or not for Adding Contact thorugh Spark:

1. Contacts -> Add Contact

2. username = xyz@yahoo.com / abc@gmail.com

3. nickanme = xyz/abc

4. group= friends.

Also I am first time working with both wildfire and spark.

Sorry for the big query.

Thanks in adv again

Bye !

Read the readme file as noted. a few things to check:

1: did you add all the wildfire properties for each respective gateway (http://wiki.jivesoftware.org/display/WILDFIRE/Wildfire+Properties, down at the bottom under “Plugins”) These can be set under the Server Manager - System Properties in the Admin Console

2: is a firewall blocking access to the server or ports that need to be open?

3: i only use the YIM gateway but i had to add a DNS record for “yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org

Once i had all all of the above done, i was able to register (using miranda) with the Jabber Agent: “yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org”. To add users i had to use the Jabber Add User and the following YIM user id: @yahoo.jabber.brain-farts.org

worked like a charm after that.

Hi Toetag,

Thanks for jumping in and providing the link.

This link http://wiki.jivesoftware.org/display/WILDFIRE/IMGatewayPlugin might be helpful as well. I too was thinking the issue might be firewall related although it’‘s strange that Yahoo is trying to use port 5269 which is the port Wildfire/XMPP servers use for server to server communication so I’‘m thinking something still isn’'t setup properly.

jawa007,

When you first setup the gateway plugin and signed in using Spark did you see any of your existing Yahoo contacts?

Thanks,

Ryan

PS - For future reference please post all gateway related questions in the IM Gateway Support category.

Just noticed that the DNS lookup isn’'t for the YIM server…

“Error trying to connect to remote server: yahoo.com(DNS lookup: yahoo.com:5269)”

Shouldn’'t that be: scs.msg.yahoo.com instead.

Message was edited by: toetag

toetag wrote:

Just noticed that the DNS lookup isn’'t for the YIM server…

“Error trying to connect to remote server: yahoo.com(DNS lookup: yahoo.com:5269)”

Shouldn’'t that be: scs.msg.yahoo.com instead.

Yes, and it should be port 5050. I should have made that more clear in my previous post.