Connection to External IM protocol

Hi,

We are developping our IM client for wildfire server, and we are integrating support for external Gateway connections.

When the user register to a gateway, we are receiving these 3 messages from the server:

1:

The last message is saiong that we registered successfully, is that right ? What should we send next to retrieve our msn roster ? Does the Gateway plugin expect the messages flow described in :

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0100.html#usecases-jabber-register

If not, do there is a documentation somewhere on the messages flow that the gateway is expecting ?

Thank you,

Mélanie

Howdy!

melane wrote:

Hi,

We are developping our IM client for wildfire server, and we are integrating support for external Gateway connections.

When the user register to a gateway, we are receiving these 3 messages from the server:

1:

I… do not know why that is occuring. It looks like the plugin is running through and finding an instance of msn.wildfireservername, removing it, and replacing it with a new copy. It shouldn’'t actually be doing that. It should be finding it and simply updating it. Hrm. What version of the plugin is this? You say wildfire … do you mean openfire or are you still back at wildfire + gateway plugin 1.0.0?

2:

Transports

This one seems reasonable given #1.

3:

That indicates that you successfully registered.

The last message is saiong that we registered successfully, is that right ? What should we send next to retrieve our msn roster ? Does the Gateway plugin expect the messages flow described in :

XEP-0100: Gateway Interaction

If not, do there is a documentation somewhere on the messages flow that the gateway is expecting ?

While it generally follows the concept of what’‘s going on in XEP-0100, there are some key differences due to the way it works. First off, it has no need for you to add the transports roster item to your roster, it does that for you. Doesn’'t need you to “subscribe” to it either. Some of what you are seeing is roster items forcefully being put on your roster and the Openfire server sending you a quick roster update.

Anway, as for getting your MSN roster and such, what occurs after registration is a presence probe. If your client/whatever responses to the presence probe with your current presence, you should automatically log into MSN and your roster will be retrieved then. If you don’‘t want to listen for the probe, you can actually send your own available presence after you’'ve received #3 up there. (the result iq)

Basically, after you get #3, you are registered and the transport is just waiting to hear you come online, so to speak, which is why you want to send a presence to it. (come to think of it, I think Openfire is supposed to respond to the presence probe on your behalf)

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for so fast answer !

Actually, your explanation for messages 1 and 2 make sense. Our client seems to not recognised that the registration is successfull, so during my test I could try to register again, while my previous registration was already successfull. So seems liek we are not handling the presence probe properly, we are going to check on that.

For info, we are still using wildfire 3.2.2 and gateway 1.0. We have different releases phases, and we can not changes software version as often as we wish.

Anyway, I’'m sure we can get it right with the version of the gateway we are using.

Cheers,

Mélanie

Message was edited by: melane

=) I do recall doing a lot of work on improving the registration process here and there. (there’‘s even a couple of other pending tasks in regards to it) So whenever you can upgrade, that would likely solve a good number of issues. If I can ever get 1.1.0 out the door it fixes a -lot- of issues. Of course it managed to generate a new issue with a memory leak at the moment, which is what’'s currently preventing it from being out. Dooh.