Contact List-Roster Sharing (Error 414- URI Too Long)

We are trying to edit groups through Contact List (Roster) Sharing,
But if we enable contact list group sharing and then select a large number of groups, an error occurs
Bad Message 414
reason: URI Too Long

What can we do about this?
We tried using the RAW Property plugin, which helps a little, but then we can’t remove a group from the list without the RAW Property.

Openfire: 4.7.5
Java Version: 11.0.19 Oracle Corporation – Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server
Appserver: jetty/9.4.43.v20210629

I do not think that there are currently good fixes for this. You’ll have to resort to doing manual database queries (please make sure Openfire is offline when you do!) or do something silly, like having very short group names.

Openfire should not really be using GET requests / query parameters for these kind of operations. I’ve created a new ticket to improve on this: [OF-2812] - Ignite Realtime Jira

1 Like

We partially solved the problem by renaming groups with fewer characters and also renamed their names to English letters. Thank you.
But now messages are appearing in the server log:

ERROR [socket_c2s-thread-5]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider - Unable to load group: IM_VIA_������������
org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupNotFoundException: Groupname IM_VIA_������������ not found

It seems like the server remembers the old group names, how can we fix this?
Clearing the server cache does not help.

UPD.
I see that these old groups with the old name in Russian language end up in the Group cache with the value CacheableOptional{absent value}.
I can’t understand where these data come from.

UPD 2.
I found the problem.
Apparently, due to the change of group names in Active Directory, in addition to updating the group name in the Database, the old information about the group as a separate group remains.
We moved the Database to MS SQL, where there were also 3 groups created through LDAP, and their names had already been changed, and these groups also appeared in the Group cache with the value CacheableOptional{absent value}.
By clearing the table in the DB, these groups no longer appeared.