powered by Jive Software

"Could not create service" for OpenFire 3.6.2 (Windows)

I am getting one of the most annoying error messages in the history of mankind. (Only slightly less annoying than the “the parameter is incorrect” error from Microsoft that basically tells you absolutely nothing)

Anyway, I’m running OpenFire 3.6.2 now (though I also had the problem in 3.5.1) on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 box. I am using a multi-domain setup with an ADAM instance, all running locally on the box. The ADAM instance is called “OpenFire” and is running as a service.

Everytime I try to install OpenFire as a service using the command line I get “could not create service”. That’s it. No other information and nothing is logged in the Windows Application or System event logs. If I try to uninstall the service, I receive “could not delete service”. This is very annoying as I have no idea what could be the problem. I am signed on with a full domain administrator account.

I am at a complete loss as to how to troubleshoot this issue. I tried upgrading to 3.6.2 hoping that would fix the problem but unfortunately, it did not. I also tried searching the discussion forums but I couldn’t find any hits on “could not create service”. I hope somebody has some idea as to how to fix this problem. :slight_smile:

sounds to me like you have a service name conflict. check to make sure you do not already have a service named openfire.

Actually, I do have a service named “Openfire”. It’s my ADAM instance on the same box.

So the service is named “Openfire” that it tries to create. So I’m going to try and rename my ADAM instance in order to change the service name. Unless there’s an easier way that can be recommended.

It’s a shame Openfire won’t try to a different name if it’s name is already taken. Like “Openfire1” or something like that.