"Couldn''t connect to host" error for users

Hi everyone. I am a new Openfire/Jabber user. I have just set up Openfire 3.3.0 on a Windows Server 2003 machine. I have set it up to use the embedded database and to connect to our Active Directory. We would like to use GAIM 2.0.0 beta 6 as our client. I am able to use GAIM and sign in. However, when another user attempts to sign in, they get the “Couldn’'t connect to host” error.

The only anomalies I have found is that during the Openfire setup in the User Mapping stage, when I click “Test Settings” it comes up with a blank result every time, however if I save and continue, in the “Users/Groups” tab in the Administration Console, everyone shows up from our Active Directory. Also, I have gotten it to work with another Active Directory user, but he is also a domain admin and we are both listed as administrators for Openfire.

So I don’‘t know if it’‘s a GAIM/Openfire issue, since some people seem to say in the forums that those two don’‘t play well. I also don’‘t know if I misconfigured something or if it’‘s something I’'m missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I guess that this is not a firewall issue. But probably one with your baseDN. It could help to use an alternative baseDN if this is really the case.

LG

If my domain is “aaa.bbbb.edu” then my base DN should be “dc=aaa,dc=bbbb,dc=edu” right? And my administrator DN is “cn=admin,ou=Admin,dc=aaa,dc=bbbb,dc=edu” which I think is correct. Please let me know if I am mistaken. Thanks.

Hi,

your baseDN can be just “dc=edu”. Such a short baseDN will usually allow you to scan the whole LDAP directory which you may not want as this may take much longer than searching only within the group where the users are.

LG