Creating groups

I have Jive setup to authenticate against AD and it also grabs groups. Everything works great except when a user creates a group and adds a few users to it. Logs off and logs back on the group is gone. Here is the server error:

] Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.roster.RosterItem.setGroups(RosterItem.java:335)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.roster.RosterItem.setAsCopyOf(RosterItem.java:452)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.manageRoster(IQRosterHandler .java:194)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.handleIQ(IQRosterHandler.jav a:103)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:48)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:242)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.processIQ(SocketReader.java:321)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.ClientSocketReader.processIQ(ClientSocketReader. java:51)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:251)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:115)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I’‘m not sure if it’'s client side or server side, but I need this feature functioning.

Thanks for your help!

Hey Derek,

This is a server side issue. The problem has been fixed. You may use the next nightly build or just way for the next server release that might happen soon.

The server will no longer throw that exception. Anyway, you will have to make sure that the requested group exists in LDAP and that it is the only matching group with the specified name.

Thanks,

– Gato

So, users will not be able to create there own custom groups? The groups must be present in AD?

Thanks for your quick response!

Derek

Derek,

My bad, I forgot what you were trying to achieve here. You should be fine. Users should be able to create their own personal groups now. Let me know if you are still having this issue.

Thanks,

– Gato

I tried the nightly build but could not get it functioning at all… Any idea when an official release will take place?

The plan is to have the next release of the server out this week. Stay tuned.

– Gato

This bug is apparently still around. I am using LDAP auth with Wildfire 2.4.3 and Spark 1.0.4 and I am getting the same thing. Create the group in Spark. Add some users to it. Log out. Log back in. The group is gone.

Hi,

The group is gone? Are any of the users online? If not, then the group would not be displayed unless you specify “Show Empty Groups”.

-Derek

Ya. The group is completely gone. It took the users I had in it along with it. Showing empty groups reveals nothing.

Too strange. Could you do two things.

1. Post the error.log file contents in the spark_install/log directory here.

2. Post any error information in the server install.

Let’'s get this fixed!

-Derek

Derek,

From the client:

No response from the server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smack.RosterGroup.addEntry(RosterGroup.java:196)

at com.jivesoftware.chat.components.ContactGroupTransferHandler$1.construct(Contac tGroupTransferHandler.java:217)

at com.jivesoftware.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:115)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I don’‘t see anything on the server end. The log has errors in it, but they don’'t pertain to this.