Customizing spark client

I would like to customize the spark client so I can deploy as a package to the clients for testing.

I could not see much documentation on this. I tried using the batch file as described in another posting. I could not select the options for port and using old SSL etc.

Please help

Thanks

Watch for the next version of Spark Manager. It sounds like it will do what you want.

I am going to assume a windows installation: if not, please stop reading now!!!

The Spark Manager will NOT help you deploy out spark to your clients, but it will help you control the updates to EXISTING clients… I have EXACTLY what you need worked out to the “T”, a small batch file that not only will deploy spark, but it will deploy out java 1.6u1 , then install spark silently to the client, THEN it will push out a custom configuration file with WHATEVER preferences you want each client to have (ports, compression settings, server address, literally almost anything… Grab yourself “spark_2_5_1_online.exe” from : http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/download-landing.jsp?file=spark/online/s park_2_5_1_online.exe

then grab Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1 (jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe) from : http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

put them both into a folder along with a batch file containing these lines…

md “C:\Documents and Settings%username%\Spark”

xcopy /i /y /c /h “spark_2_5_1_online.exe” “c:”

xcopy /i /y /c /h “jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe” “c:”

xcopy /i /y /c /h “spark.properties” “C:\Documents and Settings%username%\Spark”

“C:\jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe” /s ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=Suppress IEXPLORER=1 /L C:\Java.log

“C:\spark_2_5_1_online.exe” -q

create a file called spark.properties and copy these line into it and edit as you see fit:

#Spark Settings

#Tue Mar 13 10:20:31 EDT 2007

emoticonPack=POPO

idleTime=3

idleOn=true

compressionOn=true

password=

timeDisplayed=true

resource=spark

offlineGroupVisible=true

notifyOnOnline=false

lastUpdateCheck=1173795483438

username=

windowTakesFocus=true

hostAndPort=false

toasterPopup=true

timeout=10

xmppPort=5222

autoLoginEnabled=true

showHistory=false

showEmptyGroups=false

tabsOnTop=true

protocol=SOCKS

startOnStartup=true

xmppHost=

proxyEnabled=false

notifyOnOffline=false

server=SERVER NAME OR IP HERE<------change this!!!

chatNotificationOn=true

downloadDirectory=C:
MessengerDownloads

sslEnabled=false

startHidden=true

fileTransferTimeout=1

passwordSaved=true

buzzEnabled=true

spellCheckerEnabled=true

defaultChatLengthTimeout=15

copy and paste xcopy.exe from your windows\system32 folder into the new folder you created with these other files for good measure…

A recap: you should have a folder containing xcopy.exe, spark.properties, spark_2_5_1_online.exe, jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe, and your batch file (example.bat or whatever name)…

take your folder on a flash drive or other media, or put on a network share, and run the batch file, when done you should be ready to roll… I have used this to deploy to 1000 clients in my district… I have a slightly modified version that I am using to deploy it via startup script pushed out through group policy that does essentially the same thing, just a bit differently… same results though…

hope that helps!!

Scott

Thank you both for helping me out.

I am still prompted to upgrade the client. How do I stop users from being prompted for the upgrade?

How do i get spark manager?

Thanks

If you want to STOP or control the updates you need the SPARK MANAGER plugin for you server. It will stop the clients from getting ANY update notices if you set it up that way… very nice, no external traffic from spark trying to get updates from the Internet anymore, and if you want to ever update the all the clients from your LOCAL server you can also do that from the spark manager…

• IF you are using Openfire 3.3.0, it uses a different version of the spark manager than ANY previous wildfire servers version 3.2.4 and below…

If you have WILDFIRE server 3.2.4 OR BELOW use this spark manager plugin:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40-20444-123311 -2443/sparkmanager_1_1_0.zip

If you have OPENFIRE server 3.3.0 or 3.3.1 then use this spark manager plugin:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40-25851-145463 -2710/sparkmanager.jar

Hope that helps!!

Scott

Scott-

I’'m curious…would you share what modifications you made for GPO deployment?

Thanks

do you also need spark manager when using the enterprise version?