Database Migration

First off, I am excited that you guys are planning to make this product open-source, and I applaud you for it.

I am interested in integrating the chat server with an existing system. There are already members registered in the system, only registered members would have access to chat capabilities (web client integrated with our site) and the users are already authenticated before accessing chat - so the web client has to transparently log the user into the chat server and join them into a muc room.

Also, all user management functionality is already built into our existing system.

I read that you provide an API or interface to link existing authentication tables, and that seems like the obvious solution, but I couldn’'t find any documentation on this.

On a similar note (and the topic of this thread) I am trying to migrate the existing user data in my test database into the jive tables, but I couldn’'t find any documentation on what the values in the idType field of jiveID represent - they appear to be hardcoded values corresponding to the other tables, used to increment counters for unique id generation. What do these values mean?

I am interested in integrating the chat server with

an existing system. There are already members

registered in the system, only registered members

would have access to chat capabilities (web client

integrated with our site) and the users are already

authenticated before accessing chat - so the web

client has to transparently log the user into the

chat server and join them into a muc room.

Also, all user management functionality is already

built into our existing system.

The authentication and user system is fully pluggable, so it should be possible to make this kind of integration. However, you will probably want to wait for the Open Source release before doing that integration. You’‘ll also need to come up with some way of doing SSO (single sign-on). We’‘d be happy to help brain storm when you’'re read to do the work.

I read that you provide an API or interface to link

existing authentication tables, and that seems like

the obvious solution, but I couldn’'t find any

documentation on this.

If you’'re curious to get a head start on thinking through the issues, the API is essentially the same as the one in Jive Forums:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/builds/docs/latest/developer-guide.html#userintegrat ion

On a similar note (and the topic of this thread) I am

trying to migrate the existing user data in my test

database into the jive tables, but I couldn’'t find

any documentation on what the values in the idType

field of jiveID represent - they appear to be

hardcoded values corresponding to the other tables,

used to increment counters for unique id generation.

What do these values mean?

The jiveID is a sequence generator since we support databases without auto-sequence support. After you insert users, you’'d want to update the jiveID entry for users, which is the idType with a value of 3.

Regards,

Matt

Thank you for the quick reply!

I’'ll keep you posted as I try to integrate.