Deploy on a AMD Opteron

Hello!

We planning to rollout Wildfire on an AMD Opteron server. Mainly take advantage of the 64bit architecture. Which JVM should we use?

url=http://commerce.bea.com/products/weblogicjrockit/5.0/jr_50.jsp?BEA JRockit 5 JDK /url

or

Windows AMD64 Platform - J2SE™ Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6

Has anyone used either of these?

Thanks!

Ravin

I’‘m running the latter on an Intel Xeon machine. Haven’'t done any load testing though.

Ravin,

I’'m fairly sure that the JRockit 5 64 bit support is only for Intel processors. The Sun 64bit JVM should work great with Opteron, though.

-Matt

Hello matt,

Thanks for the feedback. At least there are people who have tried it on AMD Opteron. So I am more confident now to propose/recommend an AMD Opteron for the project

Thinking of Sun X2100 with an AMD Opteron 175

BTW, according to th BEA JRockit website it says;

JRockit 5.0 R26 JDK

Microsoft Windows (Intel EM64T & AMD64 – 64 bit)

JRockit 5.0 R26 JRE

Microsoft Windows (Intel EM64T & AMD64 – 64 bit)

This 64-bit version of JRockit is intended for use on Intel Xeon EM64T (or compatible, including AMD Opteron) systems with 64-bit extensions. This version, BEA JRockit® 5.0 JVM (R26.0.0-188), is certified to be compatible with J2SE 5.0.[/i]

Oh heck lets try the Sun 64bit JVM first. JRockit is a commercial product anyway.

Thanks!

Ravin

JRockit most definitely supports both Intel and AMD chips. You may confuse this with the first 64-bit AMD64 version of the Sun JVM, which only supported AMD chips.

JRockit a commercial product? As is clearly stated on the BEA web site, and in the JRockit license agreement, JRockit is free for all purposes. We do charge for support contracts, but then that’'s no different than Sun (or IBM).

Cheers,

Henrik Ståhl

JRockit Product Manager

Henrik,

Thanks for posting in the forums! At some point we’‘d love to test the speed of Wildfire and JRockit – I have a feeling it’'s a great combination.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt!

Whatever the result, let us know! A pointer on the JRockit forums would be nice. Oh - and for all EM64T/AMD64 users out there, we have some really nice performance tweaks in the works for the 64-bit JVM that should go into our next release (mid-Spring?).

Hello Matt

I am now trying to run Wildfire 2.4.4 with JRockit 5.0 R26 JDK Microsoft Windows (Intel EM64T & AMD64 64 bit)

I downloaded the Wildfire ZIP file (which does not include the JRE) and I have set the JAVA_HOME to point to JRockit.

But when I try to run Wildfire by executing the wildfire.exe it gives out the following error messages:

1. The JAVA_HOME environment variable does not point to a working JDK or JRE.

2. The JVM found at JAVA_HOME is damaged. Please reinstall or define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed JDK or JRE.

3. THE JVM could not be started. The main method may have thrown an exception.

/i

However, if I run the following command from the command prompt;

C:\Program Files\Java\jrockit-R26.0.0-jdk1.5.0_04\bin\java.exe -jar startup.jar

/i

WIldfire starts fine and I can see that Wildfire is using the JRockit JVM from the console.

JVM Version and Vendor: 1.5.0_04 BEA Systems, Inc. – BEA JRockit®

/b

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ravin

p.s. We are on an Intel EM64T

Message was edited by: ravindimantha