Difference between JIVE and Jabber

Hi all,

We are to implement Jive for instant messaging solution and would like to know the difference between JIVE and Jabber (I assume that JIVE is an implementation of the Jabber Protocol).

Further more I was reading through http://www.jabber.org/software/servers.shtml and found that Jive implements 90% server features. Can anyone tell me what’'s missing.

Also wanted to ask you the complication involved in moving from JIVE to other servers (if need be).

Sorry for asking too many questions regarding this… this is a very crutial decision and would like to make the best.

Thanks in advance.

Awaiting reply.

Sunil Bhatia

Hi All,

One more question… can anyone tell me that maximum capacity that the JIVE server could take and what server configuration it would take to handle a load of 5000 simultaneous connections. We are completely Linux based (Solaris Flavour)

Sunil

Hi all,

Hello.

We are to implement Jive for instant messaging

solution and would like to know the difference

between JIVE and Jabber (I assume that JIVE is an

implementation of the Jabber Protocol).

As you said, Jabber (XMPP) is the protocol, and JM is the server (just like jabberd, ejabberd, OpenIM…). You can search more in ietf.org for the RFC’'s (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3920.txt).

Further more I was reading through

http://www.jabber.org/software/servers.shtml and

found that Jive implements 90% server features. Can

anyone tell me what’'s missing.

I have in Jive Messenger all the features that I need (at least for now).

One thing that I know is that JM don’'t support native multiple domains in the same server (am I right?).

Also wanted to ask you the complication involved in

moving from JIVE to other servers (if need be).

If you store all your data in a database (such as MySQL), you won’'t have any trouble migrating to another server.

Sorry for asking too many questions regarding this…

this is a very crutial decision and would like to

make the best.

I hope you’'ll choose JM.

For me it was exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks in advance.

Awaiting reply.

Sunil Bhatia

regards,

Rodrigo.

Hi All,

Hello again :stuck_out_tongue:

One more question… can anyone tell me that maximum

capacity that the JIVE server could take and what

server configuration it would take to handle a load

of 5000 simultaneous connections. We are completely

Linux based (Solaris Flavour)

Sunil

I guess that depends on you machine.

You’‘re running on Linux, it’'s better.

Here I have 500 users (1200 in total), on a desktop (PIII 384 RAM) running Slackware 10.1 (DB is MySQL) and working just fine!

regards,

Rodrigo.

Sunil,

Several users have tested more than 5K connections at once. However, you’‘ll need a fairly large machine to do this. We’'ve started work on the Pampero project, which will bring much higher scalability to Jive Messenger in the near future (target is 100K connections).

Regards,

Matt

Hi Rodrigo,

Thank you for your reply…

Sunil

Hi Matt,

Thank you for that information. Can you please help me with the machine configuration that you think would be idea for this kind of a setup.

Sunil

Just an FYI since you’'re looking at comparing jabber servers…

I started over a year ago with JabberD, went to jabberd2, tried ejabberd and even a couple of the commercial products like antepo, final I’‘ve stopped searching. Jive messenger has everything I’'m looking for, has a very active user group, a very active development group, and there are constant signs of advances in features and functionalilty (several other projects seem ot have stalled).

I recommend JM to everyone looking for a jabber server, its easy to setup (on both windows and linux) and the web admin console is a welcomed feature.

Hope this saves you some time.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your inputs.

Sunil