Disconnected (Authentication Failure) in Linux

G’'day.

I have GAIM running on PC (Windows XP and 2000) workstations/terminal clients and have zero problems. I also have GAIM running on a Linux (Fedora 4) system that worked just fine for a user until a little while ago. Now, when I try to connect as the user, I get an error message that says

Authentication failure

On the Wildfire server (ver 2.5.1), under the “warn” tab of the log feature, I see the following:

2006.04.26 12:31:58 SaslException

javax.security.sasl.SaslException: DIGEST-MD5: digest response format violation. Mismatched response.

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.validateClientResponse(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.evaluateResponse(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SASLAuthentication.doHandshake(SASLAuthentication .java:204)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.authenticateClient(SocketReader.java :317)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:278)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:119)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I’'ve seen others with similar problems, but have not read of a solution. What can I check for to get this user back on the internal Jabber network?

Did you happen to upgrade the SASL libraries on the Linux box? I saw there were some updates recently to the cyrus-sasl2 DIGEST-MD5 libraries, but I dont know if Gaim is using them in your case. There might be some incompatability with one of the versions.

Updates to SASL libraries? Not that I’‘m aware. But I’'ll double-check… Anything else I can/should be looking for?

Message was edited by: hackl

I would check all other updates to your system. Something changed, things like this dont “just happen” . It might not be on the Client side, maybe something on the server got updated and now things are incompatable.